Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports
AbstractThis paper quantifies the evolution of technical efficiency in port infrastructure service provision in the major Spanish port authorities involved in container traffic. The paper also analyzes the extent to which port reforms that took place in the 1990's had an impact on the efficiency of the Spanish container ports. Because of the multi-output nature of port activities, we have estimated a distance function, which is a novel methodology in the study of the port industry. The results show that the reforms resulted in significant improvements in technological change, but that technical efficiency has in fact changed little on average. However, there is a significant movement of the efficiency within ports over time as a result of these reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3515.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Ports&Waterways; Transport and Trade Logistics; Environmental Economics&Policies; Common Carriers Industry; Public Sector Economics&Finance; Ports&Waterways; Transport Security; Common Carriers Industry; Transport and Trade Logistics; Public Sector Economics&Finance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Trujillo, L. & Tovar, B., 2007. "The European port industry: an analysis of its economic efficiency," Working Papers, Department of Economics, City University London 07/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Núñez-Sánchez, Ramón & Jara-Díaz, Sergio & Coto-Millán, Pablo, 2011. "Public regulation and passengers importance in port infrastructure costs," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 653-666, August.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Measuring seaports’ productivity: A Malmquist productivity index decomposition approach," MPRA Paper 40174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santiago Herrera & Gaobo Pang, 2008.
"Eficiency of Infrastructure: The Case of Container Ports,"
Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics],
ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 9(1), pages 165-194.
- Santiago Herrera & Gaobo Pang, 2006. "Efficiency Of Infrastructure: The Case Of Container Ports," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of G 124, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Matsushima, Noriaki & Takauchi, Kazuhiro, 2014.
"Port privatization in an international oligopoly,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 382-397.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Kazuhiro Takauchi, 2013. "Port Privatization in an International Oligopoly," ISER Discussion Paper, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University 0864, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Hidalgo, Soraya & Núñez-Sánchez, Ramón, 2012. "Estimating allocative efficiency in port authorities with demand uncertainty," MPRA Paper 38136, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xavier Fageda & Marta Gonzalez-Aregall, 2012. "“Regulation of Port Charges in Spain: Global versus Local Competition”," IREA Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics 201217, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.