Universal service obligations in developing countries
AbstractThis paper develops a model to analyze the impacts of asymmetric information on optimal universal, service policy in the public utilities of developing countries. Optimal universal service policy is implemented using two regulatory instruments: pricing and network investment. Under discriminatory pricing asymmetric information leads to a higher price, and smaller network in the rural area, than under full information. Under uniform pricing, the price is also lower but the network is even smaller. In addition, under both pricing regimes, not only the firm, but also taxpayers have incentives to collude with the regulator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3421.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; Knowledge Economy; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Economic Theory&Research; Insurance Law; Education for the Knowledge Economy; Knowledge Economy; Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Geographical Information Systems;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskin, Eric, 1999.
"Nash Equilibrium and Welfare Optimality,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(1), pages 23-38, January.
- Eric Maskin, 1998. "Nash Equilibrium and Welfare Optimality," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1829, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gasmi, F. & Laffont, J. J. & Sharkey, W. W., 2000.
"Competition, universal service and telecommunications policy in developing countries,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 221-248, September.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Sharkey, William, 1999. "Competition, Universal Service and Telecommunications Policy in Developing Countries," IDEI Working Papers 92, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Antonio Estache & O. Chisari & Catherine Waddams Price, 2003.
"Access by the poor in Latin America's utility reform: Subsidies and service obligations,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44068, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Estache, Antonio & Waddams Price, Catherine, 2001. "Access by the Poor in Latin America's Utility Reform Subsidies and Service Obligations," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jean Tirole, 1985. "Hierarchies and Bureaucracies," Working papers 363, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & N'Gbo, Ake, 2000. "Cross-subsidies and network expansion in developing countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 797-805, May.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
- H. Cremer & F. Gasmi & A. Grimaud & J. J. Laffont, 2001. "Universal Service: An economic perspective," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(1), pages 5-43, 03.
- Luo, Guo-liang & Guo, Yi-wei, 2013. "Rural electrification in China: A policy and institutional analysis," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 320-329.
- Gerlach, Esther & Franceys, Richard, 2010. "Regulating Water Services for All in Developing Economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1229-1240, September.
- Gasmi, Farid & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2005. "Telecommunications Technologies: Deployment in Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 2443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Esther Gerlach & Richard Franceys, 2010. "'Standpipes and beyond'-a universal water service dynamic," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 455-469.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.