Where do we stand on transport infrastructure deregulation and public-private partnership?
AbstractThe evolution of transport public-private partnerships (PPPs) in developing and developed countries since the early 1990s seems to be following a similar path: private initiatives work for a while but after a shock to the sector takes place the public sector returns as regulator, owner or financier; after a while the public sector runs into problems and eventually finds a hybrid solution to ensure the survival of the sector. This paper reviews the effectiveness of transport infrastructure deregulation from three angles: efficiency, fiscal and users'viewpoint. The paper emphasizes the difficulties and strong political commitments required to make the reforms sustainable and argues that governments willing to make corrections to the reform path are faced with the need to address recurrent and emerging issues in transport systems: tariff structure, quality (timetable, safety, environment), access rules for captive shippers, the trend toward rebundling and decrease in intrasectoral competition, multimodalism and the stimulus through yardstick competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3356.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Decentralization; Banks&Banking Reform; Environmental Economics&Policies; Health Economics&Finance; Municipal Financial Management; Banks&Banking Reform; Health Economics&Finance; Municipal Financial Management; Environmental Economics&Policies; Public Sector Economics&Finance;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Estache & Tomas Serebrisky, 2004. "Where do We Stand on Transport Infrastructure Deregulation and Public-Private Partnerships?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo & E. Quinet, 2002.
"Dealing with Demand Forecasting Games in Transport Privatization,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43981, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Quinet, Emile & Estache, Antonio, 2002. "Dealing with demand forecasting games in transport privatization," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 325-334, October.
- Winston, Clifford, 1993. "Economic Deregulation: Days of Reckoning for Microeconomists," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1263-89, September.
- Antonio Estache & Ginés de Rus, 2000.
"Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructures: Guidelines for Policymakers and Regulators,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44116, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Gines De Rus, 2000. "Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructure : Guidelines for Policymakers and Regulators," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15199, March.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2003.
"Railway (De) Regulation : A European Efficiency Comparison,"
IDEI Working Papers
221, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2007.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2004. "Railway (De)Regulation: A European Efficiency Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 4319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Estache & J. Campos & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "Processes and accounting matter for regulators: Learning from Argentina's railways privatization," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44151, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tomás Serebrisky, 2003. "Market Power : Airports - Vertical Integration between Airports and Airlines," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11304, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & J. Campos & Nadine Martin & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects of Private Sector Participation in Infrastructure," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44067, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tim Coelli & Antonio Estache & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 15149, March.
- Antonio Estache & Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44106, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002.
"What Does Privatization Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43980, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002. "What Does "Privatization" Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1885-1897, November.
- Lourdes Trujillo & Tomás Serebrisky, 2003. "Market Power : Ports - A Case Study of Post-Privatization Mergers," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11302, The World Bank.
- Meunier, David & Quinet, Emile, 2010. "Tips and Pitfalls in PPP design," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 126-138.
- Eva Jansson, 0. "Deregulation, property rights, and legal system," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 0, pages 1-25.
- Alexandersson, Gunnar & Hulten, Staffan, 2006. "Competitive tenders in passenger railway services: Looking into the theory and practice of different approaches in Europe," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 33, pages 6-28.
- Chris Milner & Oliver Morrissey & Evious Zgovu, . "Trade Facilitation in Developing Countries," Discussion Papers 08/05, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Brenck, Andreas & Beckers, Thorsten & Heinrich, Maria & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2005. "Public-private partnerships in new EU member countries of Central and Eastern Europe: An economic analysis with case studies from the highway sector," EIB Papers 10/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Jean Shaoul & Anne Stafford & Pam Stapleton, 2010. "Financial black holes: The disclosure and transparency of privately financed roads in the UK," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 229-255, February.
- Nuzzi, Andrea, 2010. "The performances of the national logistic systems: what strategies to reduce the Italian gap?," MPRA Paper 33374, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.