Land rights and economic development : evidence from Vietnam
AbstractThe authors examine the impact of land reform in Vietnam which gives households the power to exchange, transfer, lease, inherit, and mortgage their land-use rights. The authors expect this change to increase the incentives as well as the ability to undertake long-term investments on the part of households. Their difference-in-differences estimation strategy takes advantage of the variation across provinces in the issuance of land-use certificates needed to enforce these rights. The results indicate that the additional land rights led to significant increases in the share of total area devoted to multi-year crops, as well as some increase in irrigation investment. These effects are stronger in areas that felt the impact of the land reform earlier.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3120.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Agricultural Knowledge&Information Systems; Environmental Economics&Policies; Municipal Housing and Land; Real Estate Development; Land and Real Estate Development; Municipal Housing and Land; Rural Land Policies for Poverty Reduction; Environmental Economics&Policies; Agricultural Knowledge&Information Systems; Forestry;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2004-08-16 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2004-08-16 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2004-08-16 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kemper, Niels & Klump, Rainer & Schumacher, Heiner, 2011. "Representation of property rights and credit market outcomes: Evidence from a land reform in Vietnam," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 45, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2010. "Analyzing the Effects of Policy Reforms on the Poor : An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of World Bank Support to Poverty and Social Impact Analyses," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2484, March.
- Van Hung, Pham & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 2006. "Land Transactions in the North of Vietnam: A Modelling Approach," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25601, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Deininger, Klaus & Songqing Jin, 2003.
"Land sales and rental markets in transition - evidence from rural Viet Nam,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3013, The World Bank.
- Klaus Deininger & Songqing Jin, 2008. "Land Sales and Rental Markets in Transition: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(1), pages 67-101, 02.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing, 2005. "Land Sales and Rental Markets in Transition: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19359, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2006.
"Tenure security and land-related investment: Evidence from Ethiopia,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1245-1277, July.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Adenew, Berhanu & Gebre-Selassie, Samuel & Nega, Berhanu, 2003. "Tenure security and land-related investment - evidence from Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2991, The World Bank.
- Saint-Macary, Camille & Keil, Alwin & Zeller, Manfred, 2009. "Land allocation policy and conservation practices in the mountains of Northern Vietnam," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51763, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hagos, Hosaena Ghebru & Holden, Stein, 2013.
"Links between tenure security and food security: Evidence from Ethiopia:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1288, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ghebru, Hosaena & Holden, Stein, 2013. "Links between Tenure Security and Food Security: Evidence from Ethiopia," CLTS Working Papers 2/13, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Nguyen, Binh T. & Albrecht, James W. & Vroman, Susan B. & Westbrook, M. Daniel, 2007.
"A quantile regression decomposition of urban-rural inequality in Vietnam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 466-490, July.
- Binh Nguyen & James Albrecht & Susan Vroman & Daniel Westbrook, 2003. "A Quantile Regression Decomposition of Urban-Rural Inequality in Vietnam," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-31, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Akee, Randall K. Q., 2006. "Checkerboards and Coase: Transactions Costs and Efficiency in Land Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 2438, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mellati, Ali, 2008. "Uncertainty and investment in private sector: An analytical argument and a review of the economy of Iran," MPRA Paper 26655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anonymous & MacAulay, T. Gordon & Van Hung, Pham, 2006. "Agricultural Development and Land Policy in Vietnam," Monographs, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, number 114071.
- Marsh, Sally P. & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 2003. "Farm Size and Land Use Changes in Vietnam Following Land Reforms," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57919, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Van Hung, Pham & MacAulay, T. Gordon & Marsh, Sally P., 2007. "The economics of land fragmentation in the north of Vietnam," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Sebastian Galiani & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2004.
"Effects of Land Titling on Child Health,"
Research Department Publications
3184, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mauricio Moura & Caio Piza & Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro, 2011. "The Distributive Effects of Land Title on Labor Supply: Evidence from Brazil," IMF Working Papers 11/131, International Monetary Fund.
- World Bank, 2010. "Vietnam - Aligning Public Spending with Strategic Priorities in the Forestry Sector," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2834, The World Bank.
- Caio Piza & Mauricio José Serpa Barros de Moura, 2011. "How Does Land Title Affect Access to Credit? Empirical Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Working Paper Series 2211, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Saint-Macary, Camille & Keil, Alwin & Zeller, Manfred, 2009. "Land allocation policy and conservat ion practices in the mountains of Northern Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11436, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.