Financial and legal institutions and firm size
AbstractThe authors investigate how a country's financial institutions and the quality of its legal system explain the size attained by its largest industrial firms in a sample of 44 countries. Firm size is positively related to the size of the banking system and the efficiency of the legal system. Thus, the authors find no evidence that firms are larger in order to internalize the functions of the banking system or to compensate for the general inefficiency of the legal system. But they do find evidence that externally financed firms are smaller in countries that have strong creditor rights and efficient legal systems. This suggests that firms in countries with weak creditor protections are larger in order to internalize the protection of capital investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2997.
Date of creation: 31 Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Payment Systems&Infrastructure; Decentralization; Economic Theory&Research; International Terrorism&Counterterrorism; Economic Theory&Research; Banks&Banking Reform; Small Scale Enterprise; Private Participation in Infrastructure; Microfinance;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-MFD-2004-09-12 (Microfinance)
- NEP-REG-2004-09-12 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo A., 2008. "Internal capital networks as a source of MNC competitive advantage: Evidence from foreign subsidiary capital structure decisions," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 409-439, September.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kant, Asl' & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2003. "Bank competition, financing obstacles, and access to credit," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2996, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2005.
"SMEs, Growth, and Poverty,"
NBER Working Papers
11224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, Thorsten & Asl Demirguc-Kunt & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2002. "Financing patterns around the world : the role of institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2905, The World Bank.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005.
"Creditor Protection and Credit Volatility,"
Research Department Publications
4401, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hvide, Hans K, 2005.
"The Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesca Gagliardi, 2009. "Financial development and the growth of cooperative firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 439-464, April.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2006.
"Small and medium-size enterprises: Access to finance as a growth constraint,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2931-2943, November.
- Beck, H.T.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A., 2006. "Small and medium-size enterprises: Access to finance as a growth constraints," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125429, Tilburg University.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Maksimovic, V., 2004. "Bank competition and access to finance," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125507, Tilburg University.
- Hvide, Hans K., 2004. "Firm Size and the Quality of Entrepreneurs," Discussion Papers 2004/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005. "Protección a los acreedores e inestabilidad del crédito," Research Department Publications 4402, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Thorsten Beck, 2003. "Small and medium enterprises, growth, and poverty : cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3178, The World Bank.
- Chen, Yan, 2007.
[Protection of Minority Shareholders, Ownership Structure and Corporate Valuation]," MPRA Paper 12427, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2008.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2002. "Financial and legal constraints to firm growth - Does size matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2784, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.