Financing patterns around the world : the role of institutions
AbstractUsing a firm-level survey database covering 48 countries, the authors investigate whether differences in financial and legal development affect the way firms finance their investments. The results indicate that external financing of investments is not a function of institutions, although the form of external finance is. The authors identify two explanations for this. First, legal and financial institutions affect different types of external finance in offsetting ways. Second, firm size is an important determinant of whether firms can have access to different types of external finance. Larger firms with financing needs are more likely touse external finance compared with small firms. The results also indicate that these firms are more likely to use external finance in more developed financial systems, particularly debt and equity finance. The authors also find evidence consistent with the pecking order theory in financially developed countries, particularly for large firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2905.
Date of creation: 31 Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Payment Systems&Infrastructure; Banks&Banking Reform; Financial Intermediation; International Terrorism&Counterterrorism; Decentralization; Financial Intermediation; Housing Finance; Banks&Banking Reform; National Governance; Economic Theory&Research;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1998.
"Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 537-58, June.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, . "Stock markets, banks and economic growth ," CERF Discussion Paper Series 95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996. "Stock markets, banks, and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1690, The World Bank.
- Laurence Booth, 2001.
"Capital Structures in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 87-130, 02.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 559-86, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "Financial Dependence and Growth," CRSP working papers 344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996. "Financial Dependence and Growth," NBER Working Papers 5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Love, Inessa, 2001.
"Financial development and financing constraints - international evidence from the structural investment model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2694, The World Bank.
- Inessa Love, 2003. "Financial Development and Financing Constraints: International Evidence from the Structural Investment Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 765-791, July.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman, 1999.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2057, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2000. "A New Database on the Structure and Development of the Financial Sector," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(3), pages 597-605, September.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 2000. "Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Are Useful: A Comment On Kaplan And Zingales," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(2), pages 695-705, May.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1998. "Law, Finance, and Firm Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2107-2137, December.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2003. "Financial and legal institutions and firm size," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2997, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2001. "Firms as financial intermediaries - evidence from trade credit data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2696, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1999. "Institutions, financial markets, and firm debt maturity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 295-336, December.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2002. "Financial and legal constraints to firm growth - Does size matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2784, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1995. "Stock market development and firm financing choices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1461, The World Bank.
- Deesomsak, Rataporn & Paudyal, Krishna & Pescetto, Gioia, 2004. "The determinants of capital structure: evidence from the Asia Pacific region," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4-5), pages 387-405.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005.
"Bank Credit To Small And Medium Sized Enterprises: The Role Of Creditor Protection,"
002049, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005. "Bank Credit to Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Role of Creditor Protection," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 347, Central Bank of Chile.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005. "Bank Credit to Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Role of Creditor Protection," Research Department Publications 4399, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Paul Lejot & Douglas Arner & Liu Qiao & Mylene Chan & Mshall Mays, 2003. "Asia's Debt Capital Markets: Appraisal and Agenda for Policy Reform," Working Papers 192003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Calcagnini, Giorgio & Giombini, Germana & Saltari, Enrico, 2009. "Financial and labor market imperfections and investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 22-26, January.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Nigel Driffield & Sarmistha Pal & Isabelle Roland, 2010. "Microeconomic implications of credit booms: evidence from emerging Europe," Working Papers 119, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Maksimovic, V., 2004. "Bank competition and access to finance," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125507, Tilburg University.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Roberta Gatti, 2002.
"Child labor: The role of income variability and access to credit across countries,"
0102-69, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Rajeev Dehejia & Roberta Gatti, 2002. "Child Labor: The Role of Income Variability and Access to Credit Across Countries," NBER Working Papers 9018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calcagnini, Giorgio & Ferrando, Annalisa & Giombini, Germana, 2014.
"Does employment protection legislation affect firm investment? The European case,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 658-665.
- Giorgio Calcagnini & Germana Giombini, 2009. "Does Employment Protection Legislation Affect Firm Investment? The European Case," Working Papers 0902, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2009.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha & Roland, Isabelle, 2009.
"Excess Leverage and Productivity Growth in Emerging Economies: Is There A Threshold Effect?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7617, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha & Roland, Isabelle, 2010. "Excess Leverage and Productivity Growth in Emerging Economies: Is There A Threshold Effect?," IZA Discussion Papers 4834, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Augusto de la Torre & María Soledad Martínez Pería & María Mercedes Politi & Sergio L. Schmukler & Victoria Vanasco, 2008. "How Do Banks Serve SMEs? Business and Risk Management Models," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12959, The World Bank.
- Agostino, Mariarosaria & Gagliardi, Francesca & Trivieri, Francesco, 2010. "Credit market structure and bank screening: An indirect test on Italian data," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 151-160, October.
- Charles Amo Yartey, 2006. "The Stock Market and the Financing of Corporate Growth in Africa," IMF Working Papers 06/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Giorgio Calcagnini & Germana Giombini & Enrico Saltari, 2009. "Firms’ Investment in the Presence of Labor and Financial Market Imperfections," Working Papers 0901, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2009.
- Becker Bo & Sivadasan Jagadeesh, 2010.
"The Effect of Financial Development on the Investment-Cash Flow Relationship: Cross-Country Evidence from Europe,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-49, May.
- Becker, Bo & Sivadasan, Jagadeesh, 2006. "The effect of financial development on the investment cash flow relationship: cross-country evidence from Europe," Working Paper Series 0689, European Central Bank.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco, 2005. "Crédito bancario a pequeñas y medianas empresas: el papel de la protección al acreedor," Research Department Publications 4400, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Anjali Kumar & Manuela Francisco, 2005. "Enterprise Size, Financing Patterns, and Credit Constraints in Brazil : Analysis of Data from the Investment Climate Assessment Survey," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7330, October.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Francesco Trivieri, 2008. "Banking Competition and SMEs Bank Financing. Evidence from the Italian Provinces," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 33-53, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.