Japan's official development assistance : recent issues and future directions
AbstractJapan remains the world's largest national donor of aid funds. But the Japanese government, facing prolonged economic stagnation and mounting public sector debt, is under increasing public pressure to reduce aid budgets and to use official development assistance in more explicit pursuit of Japan's own economic and political interests. Internationally, Japan continues to attract criticism for its emphasis on infrastructure projects and its limited willingness to participate in multilateral partnerships. The authors argue that Japan can meet these domestic and international challenges by developing a coherent national strategy for official development assistance, broadly designed to enhance effectiveness, accountability, and transparency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2722.
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Decentralization; Banks&Banking Reform; Payment Systems&Infrastructure; Gender and Development; Economic Adjustment and Lending; Banks&Banking Reform; Development Economics&Aid Effectiveness; Economic Theory&Research; Economic Adjustment and Lending; Public Sector Economics&Finance;
Other versions of this item:
- Masahiro Kawai & Shinji Takagi, 2004. "Japan's official development assistance: recent issues and future directions," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 255-280.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarp, Finn, 2006.
"Aid and Development,"
13171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F577-97, November.
- Oliver Morrissey, 2000. "Assessments of Assessing Aid: introduction," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 371-373.
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2007.
"Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries?,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 543-562, October.
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries ?," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04047, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Norbert Palanovics, 2006. "Quo vadis Japanese ODA? New developments in Japanese aid policies," Asia Europe Journal, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 365-379, September.
- Kasuga, Hidefumi & Morita, Yuichi, 2012. "Aid effectiveness, governance and public investment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 514-521.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2004_vol._xxxi_no._1-e is not listed on IDEAS
- Kimura, Hidemi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2010.
"Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 482-497, April.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Development Economics Working Papers 22881, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 380, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- KIMURA Hidemi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of FDI? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Discussion papers 07007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Gonzalez, Eduardo T. & Mendoza, Magdalena L., . "Governance in Southeast Asia: Issues and Options," Discussion Papers DP 2002-07, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- SÃƒÂ©verine Blaise, 2009. "Japanese Aid as a Prerequisite for FDI : The Case of Southeast Asian Countries," Finance Working Papers 22767, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hong-Min Chun & Elijah N. Munyi & Heejin Lee, 2010. "South Korea as an emerging donor: Challenges and changes on its entering OECD|DAC," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 788-802.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.