Public finance in adjustment programs
AbstractThis paper reviews the experience with public finance issues under adjustment programs. This experience shows that fiscal changes are often triggered by budget and balance of payment crises. As a result, short-term considerations have dominated the policy measures introduced. Traditional stabilization policies usually emphasize measures aimed at reducing aggregate demand. On the fiscal side, this has implied cutbacks in public expenditures. There is, however, growing recognition of the need for more growth oriented adjustment programs, which entail a more comprehensive and durable approach to fiscal reform and therefore require a medium-term perspective. Countries committed to fundamental reform of fiscal and other key policy areas should be able to avail themselves of external financial support that lasts long enough for them to initiate and sustain the change process. They must strike a balance between stabilization and adjustment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 128.
Date of creation: 31 Dec 1988
Date of revision:
Economic Stabilization; Environmental Economics&Policies; Public Sector Economics&Finance; National Governance; Banks&Banking Reform;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela, 1988. "Public finance and economic development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 31, The World Bank.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1986. "Issues in Medium-term Macroeconomic Adjustment," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 163-82, July.
- Anand, Ritu & Chhibber, Ajay & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1988. "External balance, fiscal policy, and growth in Turkey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 86, The World Bank.
- Mitra, Pradeep, 1990. "The coordinated reform of tariffs and domestic indirect taxes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 490, The World Bank.
- Chhibber, Ajay & Dailami, Mansoor, 1990. "Fiscal policy and private investment in developing countries : recent evidence on key selected issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 559, The World Bank.
- Chhibber, Ajay & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1988. "Public policy and private investment in Turkey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 120, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.