Latin America and the Caribbean as Tailwinds Recede : In Search of Higher Growth, LAC Semiannual Report, April 2013
AbstractThis semiannual report — a product of the Office of the Chief Economist for Latin America and the Caribbean Region of the World Bank — examines the short and medium-term challenges for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) as the external factors that were instrumental in the region’s recent performance recede. Chapter 1 gives an overview of the global economy and its implications for the short- and medium-term prospects of the LAC region. Chapter 2 provides a detailed analysis of the general patterns of domestic demand and supply observed in LAC over the last decade. In particular we document the steady increase in LAC’s domestic demand, especially its investment component, as a share of GDP over the 2000s. Moreover, we show that the rise of domestic demand has occurred in tandem with an expansion of the services sector. We assess what are the pitfalls and challenges for LAC’s growth pattern in a less benign global environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Other Operational Studies with number 13266.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Industry Macroeconomics and Economic Growth Private Sector Development Social Protections and Labor;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Laura Hospido, 2012.
"The cycle of earnings inequality: evidence from Spanish social security data,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1225, Banco de Espa�a.
- Bonhomme, Stephane & Hospido, Laura, 2012. "The Cycle of Earnings Inequality: Evidence from Spanish Social Security Data," IZA Discussion Papers 6669, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Laura Hospido, 2012. "The Cycle Of Earnings Inequality: Evidence From Spanish Social Security Data," Working Papers wp2012_1209, CEMFI.
- Cruces, Guillermo & Gasparini, Leonardo, 2011.
"Inequality in Education: Evidence for Latin America,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Guillermo Cruces & Carolina García Domench & Leonardo Gasparini, 2012. "Inequality in Education: Evidence for Latin America," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0135, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Juan Esteban Carranza & Stefany Moreno, 2013. "Tamaño y estructura vertical de la cadena de producción industrial colombiana desde 1990," Borradores de Economia 751, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2002.
"Directed Technical Change,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(4), pages 781-809, October.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010. "A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950–2010," NBER Working Papers 15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Azevedo, Joao Pedro & Davalos, Maria Eugenia & Diaz-Bonilla, Carolina & Atuesta, Bernardo & Castaneda, Raul Andres, 2013. "Fifteen years of inequality in Latin America : how have labor markets helped ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6384, The World Bank.
- Pol Antras & Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005.
"Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2067, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rossi-Hansberg, Esteban & Garicano, Luis & Antras, Pol, 2006. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," Scholarly Articles 4784031, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rossi-Hansberg, Esteban & Garicano, Luis & Antras, Pol, 2006. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," Scholarly Articles 3196323, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pol Antràs & Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," Discussion Papers 04-020, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Pol Antràs & Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," NBER Working Papers 11094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Esteban Rossi-Hansberg & Pol Antras & Luis Garicano, 2005. "Offshoring in a Knowledge Economy," 2005 Meeting Papers 196, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nora Lustig & Luis F. Lopez-Calva & Eduardo Ortiz-Juarez, 2013.
"Deconstructing the Decline in Inequality in Latin America,"
1314, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Lustig, Nora & Lopez-Calva, Luis F. & Ortiz-Juarez, Eduardo, 2013. "Deconstructing the decline in inequality in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6552, The World Bank.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Panizza, Ugo & Stein, Ernesto, 2007.
"The cyclical nature of North-South FDI flows,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 104-130, February.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Business School Working Papers quince, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Research Department Publications 4317, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Daron Acemoglu & David Autor, 2010.
"Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings,"
NBER Working Papers
16082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Autor, David, 2011. "Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier.
- Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Julian Messina & Jamele Rigolini & Luis-Felipe López-Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Renos Vakis, 2013. "Economic Mobility and the Rise of the Latin American Middle Class," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11858, March.
- Juan Esteban Carranza & Stefany Moreno, 2013. "Tamaño y estructura vertical de la cadena de producción industrial colombiana desde 1990," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 010416, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.