An asset-based approach to social risk management : a conceptual framework
AbstractThere is increasing concern about the vulnerability of poor and near-poor rural households, who have limited capabilities to manage risk and often resort to strategies that can lead to a vicious cycle of poverty. Household-related risk is ususally considered individual or private, but measures to manage risk are actually social or public in nature. Furthermore, various externality issues are associated with household-related risk, such as its links to economic development, poverty reduction, social cohesion, and environmental quality. Hence the need for a holistic approach to risk management, or"social risk management,"which encompasses a broad spectrum of private and public actions. An asset-based approach to social risk management is presented, which provides an integrated approach to considering household, community, and extra-community assets and risk-management strategies. The conceptual framework for social risk management focuses on rural Sub-Saharan Africa. The report concludes with several suggestions on moving from concepts to actions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 21324.
Date of creation: 31 Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Health Economics&Finance; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Banking Law; Environmental Economics&Policies; Banks&Banking Reform;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paula Kantor & Padmaja Nair, 2003. "Risks and responses among the urban poor in India," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(8), pages 957-967.
- Robert Holzmann & Steen Jorgensen, 2000.
"Social risk management : a new conceptual framework for social protection and beyond,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
21314, The World Bank.
- Robert Holzmann & Steen Jørgensen, 2001. "Social Risk Management: A New Conceptual Framework for Social Protection, and Beyond," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 529-556, August.
- Romer Lovendal, Christian & Knowles, Marco, 2006. "Tomorrow's Hunger: A Framework for Analysing Vulnerability to Food Security," Working Paper Series RP2006/119, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Skoufias, Emmanuel & Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2004. "Consumption insurance and vulnerability to poverty : a synthesis of the evidence from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Mali, Mexico and Russia," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29141, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2003. "Timor-Leste Poverty Assessment : Poverty in a New Nation - Analysis for Action, Volume 2. Technical Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14817, The World Bank.
- Gentilini, Ugo, 2005. "Mainstreaming Safety Nets in the Social Protection Policy Agenda: A New Vision or the Same Old Perspective?," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 2(2).
- Siegel, Paul B. & Alwang, Jeff, 2004. "Export commodity production and broad-based rural development: coffee and cocoa in the Dominican Republic," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3306, The World Bank.
- Rashida Haq, 2012. "Shocks as a Source of Vulnerability: An Empirical Investigation from Pakistan," Poverty and Social Dynamics Paper Series 2012:06, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Alejandro de la Fuente, 2007. "Climate Shocks and their Impact on Assets," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2007-23, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Skees, Jerry & Varangis, Panos & Larson, Donald & Siegel, Paul, 2002.
"Can Financial Markets be Tapped to Help Poor People Cope with Weather Risks?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Skees, Jerry & Varangis, Panos & Larson, Donald & Siegel, Paul, 2002. "Can financial markets be tapped to help poor people cope with weather risks ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2812, The World Bank.
- Jackeline Velazco & Vicente Pinilla, 2012. "Peasant households' acces to land and income diversification. The Peruvian-andean case 1998-2000," Documentos de Trabajo de la Sociedad EspaÃ±ola de Historia Agraria 1205, Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria.
- Narayanan, Sudha & Gulati, Ashok, 2002.
"Globalization and the smallholders,"
MSSD discussion papers
50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Steele, Diane, 2005. "Household vulnerability and children's activities : information needed from household surveys to measure their relationship," Social Protection Discussion Papers 32748, The World Bank.
- Brown, Lynn & Gentilini, Ugo, 2006. "On the Edge: The Role of Food-based Safety Nets in Helping Vulnerable Households Manage Food Insecurity," Working Paper Series RP2006/111, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jansen, Hans G.P. & Siegel, Paul B. & Pichón, Francisco, 2005. "Identifying the drivers of sustainable rural growth and poverty reduction in Honduras," DSGD discussion papers 19, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Varangis, Panos & Siegel, Paul & Giovannucci, Daniele & Lewin, Bryan, 2003. "Dealing with the coffee crisis in Central America - impacts and strategies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2993, The World Bank.
- Jutting, Johannes Paul, 2002. "Die neue Rolle von Sozialer Sicherung fÃ¼r lÃ¤ndliche Entwicklung in EntwicklungslÃ¤ndern," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 51(4).
- World Bank, 2003. "Timor-Leste Poverty Assessment : Poverty in a New Nation - Analysis for Action, Volume 1. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14435, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Jock R., 2003. "Risk in rural development: challenges for managers and policy makers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 161-197.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.