Government guarantees on pension fund returns
AbstractThis report reviews defined contribution pension return guarantees typically made by governments in connection with pension privatizations. Finance theory related to the pricing of options provides a unifying framework for evaluating the cost of these guarantees. The report considers two types of guarantees on the rate of return earned by an individual pension fund: a guarantee of a fixed minimum rate of return; and a guarantee of a minimum rate of return that is set relative to the performance of other pension funds. A minimum pension benefit guarantee for a participant in a mandatory defined contribution pension plan is also discussed. Costs for each of these guarantees are illustrated using typical parameter values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 20049.
Date of creation: 30 Apr 1998
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Insurance Law; Economic Theory&Research; Economic Stabilization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pennacchi, George G & Lewis, Christopher M, 1994.
"The Value of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation Insurance,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 735-53, August.
- George G. Pennacchi & Christopher M. Lewis, 1994. "The value of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation insurance," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 735-756.
- James E. Pesando, . "The Government's Role in Insuring Pensions," Pension Research Council Working Papers 94-16, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Cooperstein Richard L. & Pennacchi George G. & Redburn F. Stevens, 1995. "The Aggregate Cost of Deposit Insurance: A Multiperiod Analysis," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 242-271, July.
- World Bank & International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Financial Sector Assessment : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7259, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.