International Openness and Social Development as Endogenous Determinants of Growth
AbstractWe study empirically the impact of social indicators on growth in the context of FDI and trade. In this article, we argue that the positive growth effects of FDI and trade arise from factors such as knowledge spillovers or technological upgrading. Therefore, the effect of FDI and trade depends on the structural and sectoral investment composition, which depends in turn on social indicators such as income inequality, human development, education, and health.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw in its series Working Papers with number 2011-22.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
growth; FDI; social development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
- E66 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General Outlook and Conditions
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:chb:bcchwp:03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barro, Robert J, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Rodrik, Dani & Alesina, Alberto, 1994.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
4551798, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ben Gardiner & Ron Martin & Tyler Peter, 2004. "Competitiveness, Productivity and Economic Growth across the European Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p333, European Regional Science Association.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2006.
"Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2007. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 925-985, December.
- Carmen F. Castejón & Julia Wörz, 2006.
"Good or Bad? The Influence of FDI on Output Growth: An industry-level analysis,"
wiiw Working Papers
38, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carmen Fillat Castejón & Julia Woerz, 2006. "Good or bad? The influence of FDI on output growth. An industry-level analysis," Documentos de Trabajo dt2006-01, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004.
"The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2005. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 173-222, January.
- Howitt, Peter & Mayer-Foulkes, David & Aghion, Philippe, 2005. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," Scholarly Articles 4481509, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004. "The Effects of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_021, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Multinational Firms and The New Trade Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
5036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irwin, Douglas A. & Tervio, Marko, 2002.
"Does trade raise income?: Evidence from the twentieth century,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-18, October.
- Douglas A. Irwin & Marko Tervio, 2000. "Does Trade Raise Income? Evidence from the Twentieth Century," NBER Working Papers 7745, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Crespo Jorge & Martín Carmela & Velázquez Francisco J, 2004. "The Role of International Technology Spillovers in the Economic Growth of the OECD Countries," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 1-20, December.
- Jonathan Temple, 1999. "The New Growth Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 112-156, March.
- Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart, 2005. "Dynamic Links between the Economy and Human Development," Working Papers 8, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- An, Galina & Iyigun, Murat F., 2004. "The export skill content, learning by exporting and economic growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 29-34, July.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Richard Kneller & Philip Andrew Stevens, 2006. "Frontier Technology and Absorptive Capacity: Evidence from OECD Manufacturing Industries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(1), pages 1-21, 02.
- Salinas, Gonzalo & Aksoy, Ataman, 2006. "Growth before and after trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4062, The World Bank.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Caselli, Francesco & Esquivel, Gerardo & Lefort, Fernando, 1996.
" Reopening the Convergence Debate: A New Look at Cross-Country Growth Empirics,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 363-89, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcin Bąba).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.