An Empirical Examination of Trade Relations between New Zealand and China in the Context of a Free Trade Agreement
AbstractThis study examines the bilateral trade relations between New Zealand and China between 1980 and 2012. Specifically, it examines, first, the strength of the trade relationship using export and import intensity indices. Secondly, it identifies the degree of trade reciprocity using a 'trade reciprocity index'. Thirdly, it estimates the magnitude of intra-industry trade using the Grubel-Lloyd and Aquino indices. Fourthly, it analyses the results from these indices to consider how trade patterns, directions and trade relations have changed between 1980 and 2012. Finally, it assesses the future prospects of trade and economic cooperation between New Zealand and China in the context of the their 2008 free trade agreement. This is the first - and possibly the only study of its kind - since the signing of the trade agreement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Waikato, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 14/04.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: 28 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
international trade; New Zealand-China trade; intra-industry trade; economic integration; trade reciprocity; trade intensity indices; FTA; CER;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2014-03-08 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2014-03-08 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Aquino, 1978. "Intra-industry trade and inter-industry specialization as concurrent sources of International Trade in manufactures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 275-296, June.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1991.
"Why Has Trade Grown Faster than Income?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 417-27, May.
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
- Swapan K. Bhattacharya & Biswanath Bhattacharyay, 2007. "Gains and Losses of India-China Trade Cooperation – a Gravity Model Impact Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1970, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.