Optimal Management of Strategic Reserves of Nonrenewable Natural Resources
AbstractThis paper studies the stockpiling issue for an oil importing country that is likely to suffer embargoes, the occurrence and duration of which are uncertain. I show the existence of a decreasing reserves path that the country wants to attain in order to hedge against these disruptions. Allowing the importing country to invest in R&D in order to free itself from the embargo threat, I determine the optimal effort that should be engaged in research. The incentive to develop a backstop is shown to increase with the depletion of the reserves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number e07-27.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
imports; nonrenewable resource; random embargoes; strategic reserves.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bahel, Eric, 2011. "Optimal management of strategic reserves of nonrenewable natural resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 267-280, May.
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-01-03 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2011-01-03 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tao Wu & Andrew McCallum, 2005. "Do oil futures prices help predict future oil prices?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue dec30.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1983. "The Welfare Effects of Intermittent Interruptions of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 272-77, May.
- Bergstrom, Clas & Loury, Glenn C & Persson, Mats, 1985. "Embargo Threats and the Management of Emergency Reserves," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 26-42, February.
- Gérard Gaudet, 2007. "Natural resource economics under the rule of Hotelling," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1033-1059, November.
- Hillman, Arye L & Long, Ngo Van, 1983. "Pricing and Depletion of an Exhaustible Resource When There Is Anticipation of Trade Disruption," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 215-33, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Djavad Salehi-Isfahani).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.