An MCDA-based Approach for Creditworthiness Assessment
AbstractIn this paper we propose a deterministic methodology for creditworthiness evaluation based on the Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) method known as MUlticriteria RAnking MEthod (MURAME). This approach allows to rank the firms according to their credit risk characteristics and to sort them into a prefixed number of homogeneous creditworthiness groups. Moreover, the methodology allows to estimate ex-post proxies of the probabilities of default and of the probabilities of transition. Then, we apply the proposed approach to check its capability to evaluate the creditworthiness in real cases; in particular, we consider the case of an important north eastern Italian bank.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia in its series Working Papers with number 177.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (or MCDA); MUlti-criteria RAnking MEthod (or MURAME); credit risk assessment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-12-01 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2008-12-01 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2008-12-01 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zopounidis, C., 1999. "Multicriteria decision aid in financial management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 404-415, December.
- Doumpos, M. & Kosmidou, K. & Baourakis, G. & Zopounidis, C., 2002. "Credit risk assessment using a multicriteria hierarchical discrimination approach: A comparative analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 392-412, April.
- Rogers, Martin & Bruen, Michael, 1998. "Choosing realistic values of indifference, preference and veto thresholds for use with environmental criteria within ELECTRE," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 542-551, June.
- Michael Doumpos & Fotios Pasiouras, 2005. "Developing and Testing Models for Replicating Credit Ratings: A Multicriteria Approach," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(4), pages 327-341, June.
- Zopounidis, Constantin & Doumpos, Michael, 2002. "Multicriteria classification and sorting methods: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 229-246, April.
- Marco Corazza & Stefania Funari & Riccardo Gusso, 2012. "An evolutionary approach to preference disaggregation in a MURAME-based credit scoring problem," Working Papers 5, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.