Optimal investment models with vintage capital: Dynamic Programming approach
AbstractThe Dynamic Programming approach for a family of optimal investment models with vintage capital is here developed. The problem falls into the class of infinite horizon optimal control problems of PDE's with age structure that have been studied in various papers (see e.g. [11, 12], [30, 32]) either in cases when explicit solutions can be found or using Maximum Principle techniques. The problem is rephrased into an infinite dimensional setting, it is proven that the value function is the unique regular solution of the associated stationary Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation, and existence and uniqueness of optimal feedback controls is derived. It is then shown that the optimal path is the solution to the closed loop equation. Similar results were proven in the case of finite horizon in . The case of infinite horizon is more challenging as a mathematical problem, and indeed more interesting from the point of view of optimal investment models with vintage capital, where what mainly matters is the behavior of optimal trajectories and controls in the long run. The study of infinite horizon is performed through a nontrivial limiting procedure from the corresponding finite horizon problems
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia in its series Working Papers with number 174.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Optimal investment; vintage capital; age-structured systems; optimal control; dynamic programming; Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equations; linear convex control; boundary control;
Other versions of this item:
- Faggian, Silvia & Gozzi, Fausto, 2010. "Optimal investment models with vintage capital: Dynamic programming approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 416-437, July.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Licandro, Omar & Puch, Luis A. & del Rio, Fernando, 1999.
"Vintage Capital and the Dynamics of the AK Model,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2000009, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Omar LICANDRO & Luis A. PUCH & Fernando DEL RIO, 2002. "Vintage Capital And the Dynamics of the AK Model," Economics Working Papers ECO2002/07, European University Institute.
- R. Boucekkine & F. del Rio & O. Licandro & Luis A. Puch, 2000. "Vintage Capital and the Dynamics of the AK Model," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0436, Econometric Society.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Del Rio, Fernando & Licandro, Omar, 2000. "Vintage capital and the dynamics of the AK model," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0003, CEPREMAP.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & Fernando del Rio, 2003. "Vintage capital and the dynamics of the AK model," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0310, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & LICANDRO, Omar & PUCH, Luis A. & DEL RIO, Fernando, . "Vintage capital and the dynamics of the AK model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1757, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gustav Feichtinger & Richard F. Hartl & Suresh P. Sethi, 1994. "Dynamic Optimal Control Models in Advertising: Recent Developments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(2), pages 195-226, February.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1991.
"Vintage capital, investment, and growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 323-339, December.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1990. "Vintage Capital, Investment And Growth," Working Papers 90-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jess Benhabib & Aldo Rustichini, 1990. "Vintage Capital, Investment and Growth," Discussion Papers 886, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Chari, V V & Hopenhayn, Hugo, 1991. "Vintage Human Capital, Growth, and the Diffusion of New Technology," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1142-65, December.
- Silvia Faggian, 2008. "Maximum Principle for Boundary Control Problems Arising in Optimal Investment with Vintage Capital," Working Papers 181, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Silvia Faggian & Fausto Gozzi, 2004. "On The Dynamic Programming Approach For Optimal Control Problems Of Pde'S With Age Structure," Mathematical Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3-4), pages 233-270.
- Feichtinger, Gustav & Hartl, Richard F. & Kort, Peter M. & Veliov, Vladimir M., 2006.
"Anticipation effects of technological progress on capital accumulation: a vintage capital approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 143-164, January.
- Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Veliov, V.M., 2005. "Anticipation effects of technological progress on capital accumulation : a vintage capital approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-148454, Tilburg University.
- Fabbri, Giorgio & Gozzi, Fausto, 2008. "Solving optimal growth models with vintage capital: The dynamic programming approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 331-373, November.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & Fernando del Rio, . "Vintage capital and the dynamics of the AK model," Working Papers 2000-01, FEDEA.
- Silvia Faggian, 2008. "Equilibrium Points for Optimal Investment with Vintage Capital," Working Papers 182, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Barucci, Emilio & Gozzi, Fausto, 1998. "Investment in a vintage capital model," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 159-188, June.
- Raouf Boucekkine & David de la Croix & Omar Licandro, 2011.
"Vintage capital growth theory: Three breakthroughs,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
875.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Raouf Boucekkine & David de la Croix and Omar Licandro, 2011. "Vintage Capital Growth Theory: Three Breakthroughs," Working Papers 565, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078.1/118159 is not listed on IDEAS
- Silvia Faggian & Giorgio Fabbri & Giuseppe Freni, 2013. "On the Mitra--Wan Forest Management Problem in Continuous Time," Working Papers 2013:28, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Raouf Boucekkine & David De La Croix & Omar Licandro, 2011. "Vintage capital theory: Three breakthroughs," Working Papers halshs-00599074, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.