Efficient Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations over a Single Good
AbstractThis paper studies efficient and egalitarian allocations over a single heterogeneous and infinitely divisible good. We prove the existence of such allocations using only measure-theoretic arguments. Under the additional assumption of complete information, we identify a sufficient condition on agents' preferences that makes it possible to apply the Pazner-Schmeidler rule for uniquely selecting an efficient egalitarian equivalent allocation. Finally, we exhibit a simple procedure that implements the Pazner-Schmeidler selection in a subgame-perfect equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia in its series Working Papers with number 152.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economic Theory 40, 2009, 27-45
egalitarism; equity; fair division; implementation; no-envy.;
Other versions of this item:
- Marco LiCalzi & Antonio Nicolò, 2009. "Efficient egalitarian equivalent allocations over a single good," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 27-45, July.
- Marco LiCalzi & Antonio Nicolò, 2005. "Efficient Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations over a Single Good," Microeconomics 0510014, EconWPA.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crawford, Vincent P, 1979. "A Procedure for Generating Pareto-Efficient Egalitarian-Equivalent Allocations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 49-60, January.
- Pazner, Elisha A & Schmeidler, David, 1978.
"Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations: A New Concept of Economic Equity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 671-87, November.
- Elisha A. Pazner & David Schmeidler, 1975. "Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations: A New Concept of Economic Equity," Discussion Papers 174, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Berliant, Marcus & Thomson, William & Dunz, Karl, 1992. "On the fair division of a heterogeneous commodity," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 201-216.
- Sprumont, Yves & Zhou, Lin, 1999. "Pazner-Schmeidler rules in large societies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 321-339, April.
- Berliant, M.C. & Dunz, K., 1991.
"A Foundation of Location Theory : Exstence of Equilibrium, the Welfare Theorems and Core,"
RCER Working Papers
298, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Berliant, Marcus & Dunz, Karl, 2004. "A foundation of location theory: existence of equilibrium, the welfare theorems, and core," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 593-618, August.
- Weller, Dietrich, 1985. "Fair division of a measurable space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 5-17, February.
- William Thomson, 2004.
RCER Working Papers
510, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Akin, Ethan, 1995. "Vilfredo Pareto cuts the cake," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 23-44.
- Miceli, Thomas J & Sirmans, C F, 2000. "Partition of Real Estate; or, Breaking Up Is (Not) Hard to Do," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 783-96, June.
- Demange, Gabrielle, 1984. "Implementing Efficient Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1167-77, September.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Massimo Marinacci, 2003.
"How to cut a pizza fairly: Fair division with decreasing marginal evaluations,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 457-465, 06.
- Massimo Marinacci & Fabio Maccheroni, 2002. "How to cut a pizza fairly: fair division with descreasing marginal evaluations," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 23-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Chambers, Christopher P., 2005. "Allocation rules for land division," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 236-258, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.