Do R&D subsidies affect SME's: access to external financing
AbstractMany countries spend sizeable sums of public money on R&D grants to alleviate debt and equity gaps for small firms’ innovation projects. In making such awards, knowledgeable government officials may certify firms to private financiers. This paper investigates whether government subsidies to R&D enhance SMEs’ access to external financing due to this certification effect. Using a unique Belgian dataset of 1107 approved requests and a control group of 501 denied requests for a specific type of R&D grant, we examine the impact on small firms’ external equity, short term and long term debt financing. We find that obtaining a R&D subsidy provides a positive signal about SME quality and results in better access to long-term debt.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School in its series Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series with number 2008-12.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 10 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2008-09-20 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2008-09-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2008-09-20 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2008-09-20 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PPM-2008-09-20 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2012. "Financial Constraints: Do They Matter to R&D Subsidy Attribution?," GEMF Working Papers 2012-18, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Heike Belitz & Anna Lejpras, 2014. "Financing Patterns of Innovative SMEs and the Perception of Innovation Barriers in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1353, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bettina Becker, 2013. "The Determinants of R&D Investment: A Survey of the Empirical Research," Discussion Paper Series 2013_09, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2013.
- P. Brighi & R. Patuelli & G. Torluccio, 2012.
"Self-Financing of Traditional and R&D Investments: Evidence from Italian SMEs,"
wp845, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Paola Brighi & Roberto Patuelli & Giuseppe Torluccio, 2012. "Self-Financing of Traditional and R&D Investments: Evidence from Italian SMEs," Working Paper Series 61_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.