Simulation of Multinomial Probit Probabilities and Imputation of Missing Data
AbstractWe use simulation methods to impute missing data. First we suggest how one can iteratively estimate a large number of parameters associated with a joint normal distribution function fof latent variable associated with the data. We suggest a way to test the joint normality assumption next. Finally, we propose a method to use draws from the estimated distribution efficiently in a method of simulated moments or simulated maximum likelihood procedure. In the second half of the paper, we apply the proposed methods ot two data sets from Jamaica with significant missing data problems. We find that the procedure provides better parameter estimates in simple models than present popular methods
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Virginia, Department of Economics in its series Virginia Economics Online Papers with number 388.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.virginia.edu/economics/home.html
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Bound & Todd Stinebrickner & Timothy Waidmann, 2007.
"Health, Economic Resources and the Work Decisions of Older Men,"
NBER Working Papers
13657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bound, John & Stinebrickner, Todd & Waidmann, Timothy, 2010. "Health, economic resources and the work decisions of older men," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 106-129, May.
- John Bound & Todd Stinebrickner & Timothy Waidmann, 2007. "Health, Economic Resources and the Work Decisions of Older Men," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20076, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Todd Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2001.
"Time Use and College Outcomes,"
University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers
20012, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Sullivan, Paul, 2006.
"Estimation of an Occupational Choice Model when Occupations are Misclassified,"
862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Sullivan, 2009. "Estimation of an Occupational Choice Model when Occupations are Misclassified," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(2).
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2000. "The Relationship Between Family Income and Schooling Attainment: Evidence from a Liberal Arts College with a Full Tuition Subsidy Program," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20008, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Stanford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.