The Effect of Education Programs on Paratransit Demand of People with Disabilities
AbstractWe describe a passenger education program to encourage responsible use of paratransit by people with disabilities. We use state-of-the-art econometric techniques to evaluate its success. We find that it has moderate effects on demand for transportation but large effects on how passengers use the transportation. In particular, passengers are more responsible about meeting the transportation at the curb rather than waiting for help inside their home. Cost-benefit analysis of the program suggests that it is a long-term worthwhile activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Virginia, Department of Economics in its series Virginia Economics Online Papers with number 325.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.virginia.edu/economics/home.html
Other versions of this item:
- Fitzgerald, James & Shaunesey, Donna & Stern, Steven, 2000. "The effect of education programs on paratransit demand of people with disabilities," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 261-285, May.
- NEP-ALL-2000-02-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2000-02-14 (Education)
- NEP-HEA-2000-02-21 (Health Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2000-02-21 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stern, Steven, 1993. "A disaggregate discrete choice model of transportation demand by elderly and disabled people in rural Virginia," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 315-327, July.
- Nguyen-Hoang, Phuong & Yeung, Ryan, 2010. "What is paratransit worth?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(10), pages 841-853, December.
- Bearse, Peter & Gurmu, Shiferaw & Rapaport, Carol & Stern, Steven, 2004. "Paratransit demand of disabled people," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 809-831, November.
- Konstantinos Zografos & Konstantinos Androutsopoulos & Teemu Sihvola, 2008. "A methodological approach for developing and assessing business models for flexible transport systems," Transportation, Springer, vol. 35(6), pages 777-795, November.
- Steven Farber & Antonio Páez, 2010. "Employment status and commute distance of Canadians with disabilities," Transportation, Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 931-952, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Stanford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.