International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time Series Approach
AbstractThis paper investigates the dynamic behavior of monthly ex post real interest rates from several countries over the period 1980 to 1991. It is found that real interest rates are stationary over this period and that deviations from real interest parity are significant in the short run but disappear in the long run. The latter evidence is established using the concept of co-dependent time series proposed by Gourieroux and Peaucelle (1989) for the analysis of multivariate stationary time series. Copyright 1993 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number vie9003.
Date of creation: Mar 1990
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in Journal of Applied Econometrics 8 (1993).
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Other versions of this item:
- Kugler, Peter & Neusser, K, 1993. "International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time-Series Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 163-74, April-Jun.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- WenLi Li & Pierre-Daniel Sarte, 2000. "Investigating fluctuations in U.S. manufacturing : what are the direct effects of informational frictions?," Working Paper 00-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Simpson, J.L. & Evans, J.P., 2005. "Systemic risk in the major Eurobanking markets: Evidence from inter-bank offered rates," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 125-144, December.
- Keshab Shrestha & Kok Tan, 2005. "Real Interest Rate Parity: Long-Run and Short-Run Analysis Using Wavelets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 139-157, September.
- Nannette Lindenberg & Frank Westermann, 2009.
"Common Trends and Common Cycles among Interest Rates of the G7-Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2532, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lindenberg, Nannette & Westermann, Frank, 2012. "Common trends and common cycles among interest rates of the G7-countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1125-1140.
- Nannette Lindenberg & Frank Westermann, 2009. "Common Trends and Common Cycles among Interest Rates of the G7-Countries," Working Papers 77, Institute of Empirical Economic Research.
- Sekioua, Sofiane H., 2008. "Real interest parity (RIP) over the 20th century: New evidence based on confidence intervals for the largest root and the half-life," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 76-101, February.
- Alain Hecq & Franz Palm & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2000. "Testing for Common Cyclical Features in Nonstationary Panel Data Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 248, CESifo Group Munich.
- Centeno, Mario & Mello, Antonio S., 1999. "How integrated are the money market and the bank loans market within the European Union?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 75-106, January.
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen, 2005.
"Multivariate Lagrange Multiplier Tests for Fractional Integration,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(3), pages 372-398.
- Nielsen, Morten Oe., . "Multivariate Lagrange Multiplier Tests for Fractional Integration," Economics Working Papers 2002-18, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Kugler, Peter & Weder di Mauro, Beatrice, 2004.
"International Portfolio Holdings and Swiss Franc Asset Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Kugler & Beatrice Weder, 2004. "International Portfolio Holdings and Swiss Franc Asset Returns," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(III), pages 301-325, September.
- Christian Dreger & Christian Schumacher, 2003. "Are Real Interest Rates Cointegrated? Further evidence based on paneleconometric methods," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 139(I), pages 41-53, March.
- Christian Gourieroux & Joann Jasiak, 1999.
"Nonlinear Persistence and Copersistence,"
2000_1, York University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 1999. "Nonlinear Persistence and Copersistence," Working Papers 99-63, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Josiak, Joann, 1999. "Nonlinear persistence and copersistence," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9920, CEPREMAP.
- Shafik, Nemat & Jalali, Jalaleddin, 1991. "Are high real interest rates bad for world economic growth?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 669, The World Bank.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2002. "Testing for common trends in conditional I(2) VAR models," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0216, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Kugler, Peter, 1999. "Price level trend-stationarity and the instruments and targets of monetary policy: An empirical note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 97-101, April.
- Gerd Hansen, 1996. "The domestic term structure and international interest rate linkages: A cointegration analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 675-689, December.
- Franchi, Massimo & Paruolo, Paolo, 2011. "A characterization of vector autoregressive processes with common cyclical features," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 163(1), pages 105-117, July.
- Feve, Patrick & Langot, Francois, 1996. "Unemployment and the business cycle in a small open economy: G.M.M. estimation and testing with French data," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(9-10), pages 1609-1639.
- Peter Kugler, 2000. "The common trend and common cycle of exports and the real exchange rate: Empirical results from Swiss data," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 171-180, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.