The Structure of Equilibrium in an Asset Market with Variable Supply
AbstractWe characterize the structure of Nash equilibria in asset market games with variable asset supply. In equilibrium, di®erent assets have dif- ferent returns, and (risk neutral) investors with di®erent wealth hold portfolios with di®erent structures. In equilibrium, an asset's return is inversely related to the elasticity of its supply. The larger an in- vestor, the more diversi¯ed is his portfolio. Smaller investors do not hold all the assets, but achieve higher percentage returns. More gen- erally, our results can be applied also to other \multi-market games" in which several players compete in several arenas simultaneously, like multi-market Cournot oligopolies, or multiple rent-seeking games.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number 0804.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hens, Thorsten & Reimann, Stefan & Vogt, Bodo, 2004. "Nash competitive equilibria and two-period fund separation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 321-346, June.
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer & Ana Ania, 2005. "The evolutionary stability of perfectly competitive behavior," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 497-516, October.
- Ana B. Ania, 2005.
"Evolutionary stability and Nash equilibrium in finite populations, with an application to price competition,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0601, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Ania, Ana B., 2008. "Evolutionary stability and Nash equilibrium in finite populations, with an application to price competition," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(3-4), pages 472-488, March.
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David, 1992. "Evolution and market behavior," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 9-40, October.
- Alos-Ferrer, Carlos & Ania, Ana B., 2005.
"The asset market game,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 67-90, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.