Markov Perfect Equilibria in the Ramsey Model
AbstractWe study the Ramsey (1928) model under the assumption that households act strategically. We compute the Markov perfect equilib- rium for this model and compare it to the original, competitive equi- librium and to a strategic open-loop equilibrium proposed by Sorger (2002, 2005b). We show that, if households are identical, strategic behavior has no in°uence on the long run evolution of the economy. If households are heterogeneous, however, the Markov perfect equilib- rium has properties that di®er from those of the competitive and the open-loop equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number 0610.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Ramsey model; strate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Consumer Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Robert A. & Foias, Ciprian, 2007. "Strategic Ramsey equilibrium dynamics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 318-346, April.
- Becker, Robert A, 1980. "On the Long-Run Steady State in a Simple Dynamic Model of Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Households," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(2), pages 375-82, September.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1992.
"Projection methods for solving aggregate growth models,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 410-452, December.
- Judd, K.L., 1992. "Projection Methods for Saving Aggregate Growth Models," Working Papers e-92-7, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Sorger, Gerhard, 2002. "On the Long-Run Distribution of Capital in the Ramsey Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 226-243, July.
- Gerhard Sorger, 2008. "Strategic saving decisions in the infinite-horizon model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 353-377, September.
- Pichler, Paul & Sorger, Gerhard, 2009. "Wealth distribution and aggregate time-preference: Markov-perfect equilibria in a Ramsey economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-14, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.