The Effects of Market Structure on Industry Growth: Rivalrous Non-excludable Capital
AbstractWe analyze imperfect competition in dynamic environments where firms use rivalrous but nonexcludable industry-specific capital that is provided exogenously. Capital depreciation depends on utilization, so firms influence the evolution of the capital equipment through more or less intensive supply in the final-goods market. Strategic incentives stem from, (i) a dynamic externality, arising due to the non-excludability of the capital stock, leading firms to compete for its use (rivalry), and, (ii) a market externality, leading to the classic Cournot-type supply competition. Comparing alternative market structures, we isolate the effect of these externalities on strategies and industry growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number 0501.
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Other versions of this item:
- Koulovatianos, Christos & Mirman, Leonard J., 2007. "The effects of market structure on industry growth: Rivalrous non-excludable capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 199-218, March.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-01-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2005-01-23 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2005-01-23 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levhari, David & Michener, Ron & Mirman, Leonard J, 1981. "Dynamic Programming Models of Fishing: Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 649-61, September.
- Novshek, William, 1985.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Benhabib, Jess & Radner, Roy, 1992. "The Joint Exploitation of a Productive Asset: A Game-Theoretic Approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 155-90, April.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S., 1988.
"Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods,"
89-10, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "Uniqueness of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results from Old Methods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 399-404, April.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S.W., 1988. "Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Cahiers de recherche 8818, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Leonard J. Mirman, 2003.
"The Effects of Market Structure on Industry Growth ,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
7-2003, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Leonard J. Mirman, 2004. "The Effects of Market Structure on Industry Growth," 2004 Meeting Papers 639, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gerhard Sorger, 2005. "A dynamic common property resource problem with amenity value and extraction costs," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 1(1), pages 3-19.
- Novshek, William, 1985.
"Perfectly competitive markets as the limits of cournot markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 72-82, February.
- Novshek, William., 1983. "Perfectly Competitive Markets as the Limits of Cournot Markets," Working Papers 499, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Dutta Prajit K. & Sundaram Rangarajan K., 1993. "How Different Can Strategic Models Be?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 42-61, June.
- David Levhari & Leonard J. Mirman, 1980. "The Great Fish War: An Example Using a Dynamic Cournot-Nash Solution," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 322-334, Spring.
- Cohen, Daniel & Michel, Philippe, 1988. "How Should Control Theory Be Used to Calculate a Time-Consistent Government Policy?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 263-74, April.
- Novshek, William, 1984. "Finding All n-Firm Cournot Equilibria," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 61-70, February.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Dutta, Prajit K & Sundaram, Rangarajan, 1992. "Markovian Equilibrium in a Class of Stochastic Games: Existence Theorems for Discounted and Undiscounted Models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 197-214, April.
- L. Lambertini & A. Palestini, 2013. "On the Feedback Solutions of Differential Oligopoly Games with Hyperbolic Demand Curve and Capacity Accumulation," Working Papers wp862, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Eric Fesselmeyer & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2013.
"Investment in a Growth Model of Non-Excludable Aggregate Capital,"
Cahiers de recherche
13-01, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Eric Fesselmeyer & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2013. "Investment in a Growth Model of Non-Excludable Aggregate Capital," Cahiers de recherche 1318, CIRPEE.
- Antoniadou, Elena & Koulovatianos, Christos & Mirman, Leonard J., 2013.
"Strategic exploitation of a common-property resource under uncertainty,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 28-39.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Elena Antoniadou & Leonard J.Mirman, 2007. "Strategic Exploitation of a Common-Property Resource under Uncertainty," Vienna Economics Papers 0703, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Jérémy LAURENT-LUCCHETTI & Marc SANTUGINI, 2010.
"Ownership Risk and the Use of Common-Pool Natural Resources,"
Cahiers de recherche
10-03, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée, revised May 2011.
- Laurent-Lucchetti, Jérémy & Santugini, Marc, 2012. "Ownership risk and the use of common-pool natural resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 242-259.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.