On Core-Walras (Non-) Equivalence for Economies with a Large Commodity Space
AbstractAddressing a question raised by Tourky and Yannelis (1998), we show that given any non-separable Banach space as commodity space and giben any atomless measure space of agents, there is an economy fulfilling the usual standard assumptions but having a core allocation not supportable as a Walrasion equilibrium, and in fact, having no Walrasian equilibria at all. We shall also consider the framework of economies with weakly compact consuption sets as developed by Khan and Yannelis (1991). We prove that in this setting the core of an economy with a measure space of traders is non-empty, regardless of wheter or not the commodity space is separable. On the other hand, we show that when the commodity space contains weakly compact subsets that are non-separable, than, again, there are atomless economies for which core-Walras equivalence fails. Thus, in particular, for very large commodity spaces the notion of the core seems to be more robust than that of a Walrasian equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number 0107.
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D41 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Perfect Competition
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tourky, R. & Yannelis, N.C., 1998. "Market with Many More Agents than Commodities," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 652, The University of Melbourne.
- Konard Podczeck, 1997. "Markets with infinitely many commodities and a continuum of agents with non-convex preferences (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 385-426.
- Rustichini, Aldo & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 1991. "Edgeworth's conjecture in economies with a continuum of agents and commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 307-326.
- Filipe Martins-da-Rocha, V., 2003. "Equilibria in large economies with a separable Banach commodity space and non-ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 863-889, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.