Unemployment, Factor Substitution, and Capital Formation
AbstractWe incorporate a wage bargaining structure in a dynamic general equilibrium model and show how this feature changes short and long-run properties of equilibria compared with a perfectly competitive setting. We discuss how employment, capital, and income shares respond to wage setting shocks and show that adjustment dynamics depend decisively on the magnitude of the elasticity of substitution between labour and capital. Values of the elasticity below unity add persistence, tend to preserve stability, and lead to empirically plausible adjustment patterns. By contrast, values above unity introduce additional volatility, thereby making steady states potentially unstable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number 0102.
Date of creation: Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Other versions of this item:
- Leo Kaas & Leopold von Thadden, 2003. "Unemployment, Factor Substitution and Capital Formation," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 475-495, November.
- Kaas, Leo & von Thadden, Leopold, 2001. "Unemployment, Factor Substitution, and Capital Formation," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E25 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Aggregate Factor Income Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier, 1998.
"Revisiting European Unemployment : Unemployment, Capital Accumulation and Factor Prices,"
Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GL28, July.
- Olivier Blanchard, 1998. "Revisiting European Unemployment: Unemployment, Capital Accumulation, and Factor Prices," NBER Working Papers 6566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 1990.
"Finite Lifetimes and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Christopher Pissarides, 1997.
"The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages : the role of unemployment benefits and tax structure,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2332, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 1998. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages; The role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-183, January.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1997. "The Impact of Employment Tax Cuts on Unemployment and Wages: The Role of Unemployment Benefits and Tax Structure," CEP Discussion Papers dp0361, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bentolila Samuel & Saint-Paul Gilles, 2003.
"Explaining Movements in the Labor Share,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-33, October.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1998. "Explaining Movements in the Labour Share," CEPR Discussion Papers 1958, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Bentolila & Gilles Saint Paul, 1999. "Explaining movements in the labor share," Economics Working Papers 374, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bentollia, S. & Saint-Paul, G., 1999. "Explaining Movements in the Labor Share," Papers 9905, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000.
"Labor- and Capital- Augmenting Technical Change,"
NBER Working Papers
7544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- von Thadden, Leopold & Kaas, Leo, 2001.
"Budgetary Policy and Unemployment Dynamics,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2001,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kaas, Leo & Leopold von Thadden, 2002. "Budgetary Policy and Unemployment Dynamics," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 108, Royal Economic Society.
- Leo Kaas & Leopold von Thadden, 2001. "Budgetary Policy and Unemployment Dynamics," Vienna Economics Papers 0104, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985.
"On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- Michael Burda, 1988. "Is there a capital shortage in Europe?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 124(1), pages 38-57, March.
- Claus Hansen, 1999. "Long-run impact of increased wage pressure," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 141-157, June.
- E. Yndgaard & Palle S. Andersen & Marc Klau, 1999. "Higher profits and lower capital prices: is factor allocation optimal?," BIS Working Papers 65, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gregory W. Huffman, 1993.
"An alternative neo-classical growth model with close-form decision rules,"
9317, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Huffman, Gregory W., 1993. "An alternative neo-classical growth model with closed-form decision rules," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 59-63.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1997. " Imperfect Competition, Capital Shortages and Unemployment Persistence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 15-27, March.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2004.
"Factor Substitution and Factor Augmenting Technical Progress in the US: A Normalized Supply-Side System Approach,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c009_030, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Klump, Rainer & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2004. "Factor substitution and factor augmenting technical progress in the US: a normalized supply-side system approach," Working Paper Series 0367, European Central Bank.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2007. "Unemployment dynamics in an OLG economy with public pensions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 549-577, December.
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2012.
"The Normalized Ces Production Function: Theory And Empirics,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 769-799, December.
- Klump, Rainer & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2011. "The normalized CES production function: theory and empirics," Working Paper Series 1294, European Central Bank.
- Takashi Ohno, 2006. "On the Effects of Wage Pressure on the Unemployment Rate and Capital Share," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 389-401, November.
- Koskela, Erkki & von Thadden, Leopold, 2002. "Optimal factor taxation under wage bargaining: a dynamic perspective," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,31, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Xavier Raurich & Valeri Sorolla, 2008. "A General Framework for Growth Models with Non-Competitive Labor and Product Markets and Disequilibrium Unemployment," Working Papers 369, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Martin Hellwig, 2004. "The Relation between Real Wage Rates and Employment: An Intertemporal General- Equilibrium Analysis," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(3), pages 263-295, 08.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2010. "Growth and unemployment in an OLG economy with public pensions," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 737-767, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.