Gauss-Newton, Milliken-Graybill, and Exact Misspecification Testing Using Artificial Regressions
AbstractThe Gauss-Newton regression (GNR) is widely used to compute Lagrange multiplier statistics. A regression described by Milliken and Graybill yields an exact F test in a certain class of nonlinear models which are linear under the null. This paper shows that the Milliken- Graybill regression is a GNR. Hence one interpretation of Milliken- Graybill is that they identi ed a class of nonlinear models for which the GNR yields an exact test.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 9811.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 30 Nov 1998
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Specification testing; Milliken-Graybill Theorem; Gauss- Newton regression;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1999.
978, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- BERA, Anil K. & McALEER, Michael, .
"Some exact tests for model specification,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-549, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MacKinnon, James G, 1992. "Model Specification Tests and Artificial Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 102-46, March.
- Michael McAleer, 1981. "Exact Tests of a Model Against Non-Nested Alternatives," Working Papers 431, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Godfrey, Lesley G & Wickens, Michael R, 1981. "Testing Linear and Log-Linear Regressions for Functional Form," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 487-96, July.
- Fisher, Gordon R. & McAleer, Michael, 1981.
"Alternative procedures and associated tests of significance for non-nested hypotheses,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 103-119, May.
- Gordon Fisher & Michael McAleer, 1981. "Alternative Procedures and Associated Tests of Significance for Non-Nested Hypotheses," Working Papers 420, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Godfrey, Leslie G & McAleer, Michael & McKenzie, Colin R, 1988. "Variable Addition and LaGrange Multiplier Tests for Linear and Logarithmic Regression Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 492-503, August.
- Fisher, Gordon R., 1983. "Tests for two separate regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 117-132, January.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1983. "Testing Non-Nested Models after Estimation by Instrumental Variables or Least Squares," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 355-65, March.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981.
"Small Sample Properties of Alternative Forms of the Lagrange Multiplier Test,"
439, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russel & MacKinnon, James G., 1983. "Small sample properties of alternative forms of the Lagrange Multiplier test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 269-275.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1988. "Specification Tests Based on Artificial Regressions," Working Papers 707, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kiviet, Jan F, 1986. "On the Rigour of Some Misspecification Tests for Modelling Dynamic Relationships," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 241-61, April.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The Milliken-Graybill Theorem
by Dave Giles in Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog on 2012-07-06 15:08:00
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.