Exact Asymptotic Goodness-of-Fit Testing For Discrete Circular Data, With Applications
AbstractWe show that the full asymptotic null distribution for Watson’s 2N U statistic, modified for discrete data, can be computed simply and exactly by standard methods. Previous approximate quantiles for the uniform multinomial case are found to be accurate. More extensive quantiles are presented for this distribution, as well as for the beta-binomial distribution and for the distributions associated with “Benford’s Laws”. A simulation experiment compares the power of the modified 2N U test with that of Kuiper’s VN test. In addition, four illustrative empirical applications are provided. In addition, four illustrative empirical applications are provided to illustrate the usefulness of the 2N U test. (This paper supercedes EWP0607.)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 1201.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Distributions on the circle; Goodness-of-fit; Watson’s 2N U; Discrete data; Benford’s Law;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Giles, 2005.
"Benford’s Law and Naturally Occurring Prices in Certain ebaY Auctions,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0505, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David Giles, 2007. "Benford's law and naturally occurring prices in certain ebaY auctions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 157-161.
- Balanzario, Eugenio P. & Sánchez-Ortiz, Jorge, 2010. "Sufficient conditions for Benford's law," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1713-1719, December.
- Shao, Lijing & Ma, Bo-Qiang, 2010. "The significant digit law in statistical physics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(16), pages 3109-3116.
- Canessa, Enrique, 2003. "Theory of analogous force on number sets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 328(1), pages 44-52.
- Hunt, Daniel L. & Cheng, Cheng & Pounds, Stanley, 2009. "The beta-binomial distribution for estimating the number of false rejections in microarray gene expression studies," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 1688-1700, March.
- De Ceuster, Marc J. K. & Dhaene, Geert & Schatteman, Tom, 1998. "On the hypothesis of psychological barriers in stock markets and Benford's Law," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 263-279, September.
- George Judge & Laura Schechter, 2009. "Detecting Problems in Survey Data Using Benford’s Law," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(1).
- Ocean Fan Lu & David E. A. Giles, 2006.
"Benford's Law and Psychological Barriers in Certain eBay Auctions,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0606, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Ocean Fan Lu & David Giles, 2010. "Benford's Law and psychological barriers in certain eBay auctions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(10), pages 1005-1008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.