The Bias of Elasticity Estimtors in Linear Regression: Some Analytic Results
AbstractUsing small-disturbance expansions, we derive analytic expressions for the bias of the OLS estimator an elasticity in a linear model, both at an individual sample point and at the sample mean. The magnitudes of these biases are illustrated with Australian expenditure data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 0517.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 22 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Elasticity; bias; small-distrurbance asymptotics;
Other versions of this item:
- Qian, Chen & Giles, David E., 2007. "The bias of elasticity estimators in linear regression: Some analytic results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 185-191, February.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth W. Clements & Xueyan Zhao, 2005. "Economic Aspects of Marijuana," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 05-28, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kadane, Joseph B, 1971. "Comparison of k-Class Estimators when the Disturbances are Small," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 723-37, September.
- Ullah, Aman, 2004. "Finite Sample Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 1, number 9780198774488.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.