Place Marketing, Governance and Tourism Development. Or How to Design the Perfect Regional Tourist Board?
AbstractThe principal scope of this paper is to reconstruct the chain-of-command that regards the implementation of a regional tourism development strategy, in particular the tourism marketing policy. Starting point of the analysis was the assumption that the quality of the governance of these organisations is one of the factors that may explain the success of a tourist destination. Thereto, an international comparative study into the role of the organizational structure, of organizing capacity and of governance on the effectiveness of tourism promotion and territorial marketing was organised. By comparing four different case studies, Catalunya (E), Rhone-Alpes (F), Scotland (UK) and Trentino (I), worst and best practices have been identified, and an answer to the question whether there exists such a thing as an ideally structured organisation that deals with territorial and tourism marketing at the regional level has been sought.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari" in its series Working Papers with number 2008_04.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Tourism Marketing; Governance; Regional Tourist Organisations; Tourism Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
- L88 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Government Policy
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2008-03-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MKT-2008-03-08 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2008-03-08 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.