The Economic Impact of the Horse Industry in Virginia
AbstractThis paper examines the economic impact of Virginia\'s horse industry using input-output analysis. Statewide impacts are further disaggregated into three categories: (1) expenditures on horse maintenance and support by horse owners and operations, (2) expenditures on horse shows and competitions, and (3) expenditures associated with pari-mutuel racing activities. Results indicate a total economic impact of 16,091 jobs and $670 million in value-added impact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic and Policy Studies in its series Reports with number 2011-02.
Date of creation: 04 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
horse; racing; economic impact; input-output;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q19 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Other
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-06-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-TUR-2011-06-04 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terance J. Rephann, 2008. "The Economic Impact of Agriculture and Forestry on the Commonwealth of Virginia," Reports 2008-01, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Watson, Philip & Wilson, Joshua & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Winter, Susan, 2007. "Determining Economic Contributions and Impacts: What is the difference and why do we care?," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 37(2).
- Terance J. Rephann & John Knapp & William Shobe, 2010. "Study of the Economic Impact of Virginia Public Higher Education," Reports 2010-01, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Dunaway, Tarrah & Garkovich, Lorraine & Davis, Alison F., 2013. "The Impact of Agriculture on Other Business Activity: A Nationwide Analysis Applied to Fayette County, Kentucky," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142131, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William M. Shobe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.