Products of Several Relative Probabilities
AbstractThis paper defines and develops the concept of a product dispersion over any finite number of dimensions. The concept itself is nontrivial because products over several dimensions cannot be constructed by an iterative binary operation. Yet the paper's most important contribution is to characterize product dispersions by means of monomials. This result is derived through elementary linear algebra, and can be used to characterize the consistency of beliefs in extensive-form games (Streufert (2006a)).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics in its series UWO Department of Economics Working Papers with number 20061.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Reference Centre, Social Science Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C2
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/department_working_papers.html
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-12 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kohlberg, Elon & Reny, Philip J., 1997. "Independence on Relative Probability Spaces and Consistent Assessments in Game Trees," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 280-313, August.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2003.
"Products of Representations Characterize the Products of Dispersions and the Consistency of Beliefs,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20039, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2004. "Products of Representations Characterize the Products of Dispersions and the Consistency of Beliefs," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 548, Econometric Society.
- Monderer, Dov & Samet, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S, 1992. "Weighted Values and the Core," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 27-39.
- McLennan, Andrew, 1989. "The Space of Conditional Systems is a Ball," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 125-39.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2006. "Characterizing Consistency by Monomials and by Product Dispersions," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20062, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Kreps, David M & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 863-94, July.
- Blume, Lawrence & Brandenburger, Adam & Dekel, Eddie, 1991. "Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 61-79, January.
- Vieille, Nicolas, 1996. "Conditional Systems Revisited," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 207-17.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.