Congestion in the Chinese automobile and textile industries revisited
AbstractThis paper re-examines a problem of congested inputs in the Chinese automobile and textile industries, which was identified by Cooper et al. (Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 35 (2001) 227-242). These authors employed a single approach to measuring congestion, however, so it is of interest to see whether other approaches would yield very different answers as regards the severity of this problem. Indeed, the measurement of congestion is an area where there has been much theoretical debate but relatively little empirical work. Here we use the data set assembled by Cooper et al. for the period 1981-1997 to compare and contrast the measurements of congestion generated by three alternative approaches. We find that these measurements are indeed very different.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol in its series Working Papers with number 0702.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooper, W. W. & Seiford, L. M. & Zhu, J., 2001. "Slacks and congestion: response to a comment by R. Fare and S. Grosskopf," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 205-215, September.
- A. T. Flegg & D. O. Allen & K. Field & T. W. Thurlow, 2004. "Measuring the efficiency of British universities: a multi-period data envelopment analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 231-249.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo & Post, Thierry, 2001. "Alternative treatments of congestion in DEA: A rejoinder to Cooper, Gu, and Li," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 75-80, July.
- Cooper, W. W. & Gu, Bisheng & Li, Shanling, 2001. "Comparisons and evaluations of alternative approaches to the treatment of congestion in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 62-74, July.
- Cooper, William W. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2000. "A unified additive model approach for evaluating inefficiency and congestion with associated measures in DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Research Note. Decomposing Technical Efficiency with Care," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 46(1), pages 167-168, January.
- Cooper, W. W. & Gu, Bisheng & Li, Shanling, 2001. "Note: Alternative treatments of congestion in DEA - a response to the Cherchye, Kuosmanen and Post critique," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 81-87, July.
- Tone, Kaoru & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2004. "Degree of scale economies and congestion: A unified DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 158(3), pages 755-772, November.
- Cooper, W. W. & Deng, Honghui & Huang, Zhimin M. & Li, Susan X., 2002. "A one-model approach to congestion in data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 231-238, December.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2000. "Slacks and congestion: a comment," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-33, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.