Endogenous growth and Stock Market Development
AbstractThis paper re-examines the relationship between stock market development and economic growth. It provides a theoretical basis for establishing the channel through which stock markets affect economic growth in the long run. It examines the hypothesis of endogenous growth models that financial development causes higher growth through its influence on the level of investment and its productivity. The empirical part of this study exploits techniques recently developed to test for causality in VARs. The evidence obtained from a sample of four countries suggests that investment productivity is the channel through which stock market development enhances the growth rate in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol in its series Working Papers with number 0302.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Financial Development; Endogenous Growth; Stock Market; Channel of Transmission; Causality Testing in VARs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Kihlstrom & Steven Matthews, .
"Managerial Incentives in an Entrepreneurial Stock Market Model,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
11-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Matthews, Steven A., 1990. "Managerial incentives in an entrepreneurial stock market model," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 57-79, March.
- R. E. Kihlstrom & Steven A. Matthews, 1988. "Managerial Incentives in An Entrepreneurial Stock Market Model," Discussion Papers 769, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Richard E. Kihlstrom & Steven A. Matthews, 1990. "Managerial Incentives in an Entrepreneurial Stock Market Model," Discussion Papers 876, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock Market Development and Long-Run Growth,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 323-39, May.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209, April.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- James Dow & Gary Gorton, 1995.
"Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?,"
NBER Working Papers
5233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dow, James & Gorton, Gary, 1997. " Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1087-1129, July.
- Davidson, Malcolm & Gorton, Gary B, 1995. "Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1261, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Dow & Gary Gorton, . "Stock Market Efficiency and Economic Efficiency: Is There a Connection?," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 16-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Mayer, Colin, 1988.
"New issues in corporate finance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1167-1183, June.
- Singh, A. & Hamid, J., 1992. "Corporate Financial Structure in Developing Countries," Papers 1, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Hiro Y. Toda & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1991.
"Vector Autoregression and Causality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
977, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ross Levine, 1990.
"Financial structure and economic development,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
381, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995.
"Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996. "Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 1992. "Developing country capital structures and emerging stock markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 933, The World Bank.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Paul Milgrom & Jonathan Paul, 1992. "The Real Output of the Stock Exchange," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 195-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Markets, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth: An Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 223-39, May.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Pittis, Nikitas, 1999. " Efficient Estimation of Cointegrating Vectors and Testing for Causality in Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-35, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.