Optimal VWAP Trading Strategy and Relative Volume
AbstractVolume Weighted Average Price (VWAP) for a stock is total traded value divided by total traded volume. It is a simple quality of execution measurement popular with institutional traders to measure the price impact of trading stock. This paper uses classic mean-variance optimization to develop VWAP strategies that attempt to trade at better than the market VWAP. These strategies exploit expected price drift by optimally `front-loading' or `back-loading' traded volume away from the minimum VWAP risk strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 201.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konishi, Hizuru, 2002. "Optimal slice of a VWAP trade," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaëlle, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5478, Paris Dauphine University.
- Olivier Gu\'eant & Guillaume Royer, 2013. "VWAP execution and guaranteed VWAP," Papers 1306.2832, arXiv.org, revised May 2014.
- Francesco Calvori & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2014. "Go with the Flow: A GAS model for Predicting Intra-daily Volume Shares," Econometrics Working Papers Archive 2014_01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti", revised Feb 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.