Pricing American Interest Rate Options in a Heath-Jarrow-Morton Framework Using Method of Lines
AbstractWe consider the pricing of American bond options in a Heath-Jarrow-Morton framework in which the forward rate volatility is a function of time to maturity and the instantaneous spot rate of interest. We have shown in Chiarella and El-Hassan (1996) that the resulting pricing partial differential operators are two dimensional in the spatial variables. In this paper we investigate an efficientnumerical method to solve there partial differential equations for American option prices and the corresponding free exercise surface. We consider in particular the method of lines which other investigators (eg Carr and Faguet (1994) and Van der Hoek and Meyer (1997)) have found to be efficient for American option pricing when there is one spatial variable. In extending this method for the two dimensional case, we solve the pricing equation by discretising the time variable and one state varialbe and using the spot rate of interest as a continuous variable. We compare our method with the lattice method of Li, Ritchken and Sankarasubramanian (1995).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 12.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 1999
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl Chiarella & Oh Kwon, 2003. "Finite Dimensional Affine Realisations of HJM Models in Terms of Forward Rates and Yields," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 129-155, May.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Ram Bhar & Carl Chiarella, 1995.
"Transformation of Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models to Markovian Systems,"
Working Paper Series
53, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- R. Bhar & C. Chiarella, 1997. "Transformation of Heath?Jarrow?Morton models to Markovian systems," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-26.
- Inui, Koji & Kijima, Masaaki, 1998. "A Markovian Framework in Multi-Factor Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 423-440, September.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1979. "A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 133-155, July.
- Carl Chiarella & Nadima El-Hassan, 1996. "A Preference Free Partial Differential Equation for the Term Stucture of Interest Rates," Working Paper Series 63, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Michael J. Brennan and Eduardo S. Schwartz., 1979. "A Continuous-Time Approach to the Pricing of Bonds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 85, University of California at Berkeley.
- Carl Chiarella & Nadima El-Hassan, 1997. "Evaluation of Derivative Security Prices in the Heath-Jarrow-Morton Framework as Path Integrals Using Fast Fourier Transform Techniques," Working Paper Series 72, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Li, Anlong & Ritchken, Peter & Sankarasubramanian, L, 1995. " Lattice Models for Pricing American Interest Rate Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 719-37, June.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Andrew Carverhill, 1994. "When Is The Short Rate Markovian?," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 305-312.
- Chiarella, Carl & Clewlow, Les & Musti, Silvana, 2005. "A volatility decomposition control variate technique for Monte Carlo simulations of Heath Jarrow Morton models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 325-336, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.