Sociability, Altruism and Subjective Well-Being
AbstractWe provide non experimental evidence of the relevance of sociability on subjective wellbeing by investigating the determinants of life satisfaction on a large sample of Europeans aged above 50. We document that voluntary work, religious attendance, helping friends/neighbours and participation to community-related organizations affect positively and significantly life satisfaction. We illustrate the different impact that some sociability variables have on eudaimonic versus cognitive measures of subjective wellbeing. Our empirical findings discriminate among other regarding and self-regarding preferences as rationales explaining such behaviour. We document that different combinations between actions and motivations have different impact on life satisfaction thereby providing support for the relevance of these specific “contingent goods” and to the literature of procedural utility. Our findings are confirmed in robustness checks including refinements of the dependent variable, instrumental variables and sensitivity an alysis on departures from the exogeneity assumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Turin in its series Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers with number 201314.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Becchetti & Luisa Corrado & Pierluigi Conzo, 2013. "Sociability, Altruism and Subjective Well-Being," CEIS Research Paper 270, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 29 Mar 2013.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Corrado, Luisa & Conzo, Pierluigi, 2013. "Sociability, Altruism and Subjective Well-Being," AICCON Working Papers 120-2013, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Luisa Corrado & Pierluigi Conzo, 2013. "Sociability, Altruism and Subjective Well-Being," Econometica Working Papers wp49, Econometica.
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2013-07-20 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-HAP-2013-07-20 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-SOC-2013-07-20 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri) or (Marina Grazioli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.