A 'Live' Version of the HOS Model with Interventions
AbstractWe present a numerical version of the factor proportions (Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson) model of production in a small economy, built in Excel that features tax interventions at the input, output, consumption and trade levels. The model features the most common graphical devices used to explain the model properties, including integrating partial equilibrium geometry corresponding to the general equilibrium system. The solution is embedded in the sheet, making the use of the Solver add-in unnecessary. The model can be used to demonstrate the a wide variety of results from the neoclassical theory of commercial policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 200905.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 26 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3565 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322-3565
Web page: http://huntsman.usu.edu/economicsandfinance/
More information through EDIRC
Heckcher-Ohlin-Samuelson model; Factor proportions; Tariffs; Excel;
Other versions of this item:
- John Gilbert, 2009. "A 'Live' Version of the HOS Model with Interventions," Working Papers, Utah State University, Department of Economics 2009-05, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- A2 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- John Gilbert, 2009.
"A 'Live' Version of the HOS Model in Excel,"
Working Papers, Utah State University, Department of Economics
2009-02, Utah State University, Department of Economics, revised 10 Jun 2009.
- John Gilbert, 2009. "A 'Live' Version of the HOS Model in Excel," Working Papers, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance 200902, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance, revised 16 Jun 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.