The Queuing Theoretic Approach to Groundwater Management
AbstractIn this paper I propose and develop a new framework for modeling groundwater management issues. Specifically, I apply the methods of queuing theory—for the first time, to the best of my knowledge—to model a groundwater management problem from a long-run perspective. I characterize two simple management regimes as two different kinds of queues and then show how to pose a manager's decision problem as an optimization problem using queuing theoretic techniques. I solve for certain fundamental quantities, such as the expected system size, and then discuss the economic meaning and relevance of the queuing concepts being used. I close by discussing possible extensions to my basic models.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utah State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 9514.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in Ecological Modelling 85(2-3, 1996):219-27
groundwater; management; stochastic; queuing; theory;
Other versions of this item:
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1995. "The Queuing Theoretic Approach To Groundwater Management," Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers 28349, Utah State University, Economics Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Provencher Bill & Burt Oscar, 1993. "The Externalities Associated with the Common Property Exploitation of Groundwater," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 139-158, March.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Beladi, Hamid, 2006.
"International trade and biological invasions: A queuing theoretic analysis of the prevention problem,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 758-770, May.
- Beladi, Hamid & Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 2004. "International Trade And Biological Invasions: A Queuing Theoretic Analysis Of The Prevention Problem," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19912, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996.
"On Some Aspects Of The Management Of A Stochastically Developing Forest,"
Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers
28361, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996. "On Some Aspects of the Management of a Stochastically Developing Forest," Working Papers 9613, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Koo, Won W. & Mattson, Jeremy W., 2004. "Economics Of Detection And Control Of Invasive Species: Workshop Highlights," Special Reports 23068, North Dakota State University, Center for Agricultural Policy and Trade Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.