On Convergence across Transition Economies’ Financial Markets: the Role of Creditor Rights
AbstractAlthough twenty years have elapsed since the beginning of transition, Eastern European and Central Asian countries are still characterized by remarkably heterogeneous levels of economic development. In the light of the established causal relationship between finance and growth, we perform an absolute and conditional convergence analysis with reference to credit markets’ development to understand whether the lack of convergence in economic performances may also be a side - effect of persistently diversified financial architectures in these transition economies. Our investigation highlights: (i) the occurrence of absolute and conditional convergence; (ii) the existence of appreciable intra - distribution dynamics in the convergence process; and that, when conditioning for cross - country measures of the legal protection of creditors’ rights, (iii) the bankruptcy laws and their enforcement strongly boost credit markets’ average period growth rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Siena in its series Department of Economics University of Siena with number 580.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
convergence; financial market development; investor protection; rule of law.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.