Teaching Macroeconomics after the Crisis: A Survey among Undergraduate Instructors in Europe and the U.S
AbstractAn online survey among undergraduate macroeconomics instructors reveals that roughly half of them were scared when the crisis erupted and remain wary that more may be in the offing. As regards teaching, courses feature much the same lineups of models as they did before the crisis. A striking change concerns public debt dynamics, which receives much more emphasis. Regarding the finer fabric of undergraduate macro teaching, exciting things are going on. A host of topics related to financial markets has entered the curriculum, and there is more interest in economic history, the history of economic thought and case studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science in its series Economics Working Paper Series with number 1120.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Financial crisis; teaching; undergraduate; macroeconomics.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A22 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Undergraduate
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-06-04 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2011-06-04 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2011-06-04 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Paolo Mauro, 2010.
"Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(s1), pages 199-215, 09.
- Ma, Jin & Yong, Jiongmin, 1997. "Adapted solution of a degenerate backward spde, with applications," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 59-84, October.
- Antonios Antoniou & David G. Barr & Richard Priestley, . "Measuring the Excess Profits of the UK’s recently Privatised Utilities," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 97-02, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Ching-To Albert Ma & Michael H. Riordan, 2002.
"Health Insurance, Moral Hazard, and Managed Care,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 81-107, 03.
- Robert J. Barro, 2002.
"Optimal Management of Indexed and Nominal Debt,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Fernando Lefort & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Serie (ed.), Indexation, Inflation and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 5, pages 135-150
Central Bank of Chile.
- Robert Barro, 1998. "Optimal Management of Indexed and Nominal Debt," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 26, Central Bank of Chile.
- Robert J. Barro, 1997. "Optimal Management of Indexed and Nominal Debt," NBER Working Papers 6197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Barro, 2003. "Optimal Management of Indexed and Nominal Debt," CEMA Working Papers 496, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Tavis Barr, 1997. "An ado-file implementation of a simplex-based maximization algorithm," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(32).
- Vries, R.E. de & Roe, R.A. & Taillieu, T.C.B., 1997. "On charisma and need for leadership," WORC Paper 18, Tilburg University, Work and Organization Research Centre.
- ???, 1997. "Remarks of milton friedman," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1997(3).
- (Special Paper), 1997. "Programme and Proceedings of 1997 Warwick Summer Research workshop on "Dynamic Games and their Economic Applications"," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 488, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Arnade, Carlos & Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry, 1997. "Agricultural competitiveness: The case of the United States and major EU countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 99-109, May.
- ???, 1997. "Milton friedman awarded honorary doctorate," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1997(3).
- John B. Taylor, 2011. "Macroeconomic Lessons from the Great Deviation," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2010, Volume 25, pages 387-395 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan S. Blinder, 2010. "Teaching Macro Principles after the Financial Crisis," Working Papers 1222, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Zhao, Hongxin & Co, Henry C., 1997. "Adoption and implementation of advanced manufacturing technology in Singapore," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-19, January.
- David H. Romer, 2000.
"Keynesian Macroeconomics without the LM Curve,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 149-169, Spring.
- John J. Siegfried, 2008. "Trends in Undergraduate Economics Degrees, 1991-2007," Journal of Economic Education, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 297-301, July.
- David Barr & Richard Priestley, . "Expected returns, risk and the integration of international bond markets," CERF Discussion Paper Series 97-04, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Carl E. Walsh, 2002. "Teaching Inflation Targeting: An Analysis for Intermediate Macro," Journal of Economic Education, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 333-346, January.
- ???, 1997. "Peter F. Drucker awarded honorary doctorate," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1997(4).
- Xinshen Diao & Terry Roe & Erinç Yeldan, 1997. "How Trade and R&D Promotion Policies Affect Growth : An Applied General Equilibrium Analysis with Endogenous Growth," Departmental Working Papers 979, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Chandra, Uday & Ro, Byung T., 1997. "The association between deferred taxes and common stock risk," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 311-333.
- David G. Barr & Richard Priestley, . "Expected Returns, Risk, and the Integration of International Bond Markets," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 97-01, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Simpson, Nicole & de Araujo, Pedro & O'Sullivan, Roisin, 2012. "What should be taught in Intermediate Macroeconomics?," Working Papers 2012-01, Department of Economics, Colgate University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.