Realized Covariance Tick-by-Tick in Presence of Rounded Time Stamps and General Microstructure Effects
AbstractThis paper presents two classes of tick-by-tick covariance estimators adapted to the case of rounding in the price time stamps to a frequency lower than the typical arrival rate of tick prices. We investigate, through Monte Carlo simulations, the behavior of such estimators under realistic market microstructure conditions analogous to that of the financial data studied in the empirical section; that is, non-synchronous trading, general ARMA structure for microstructure noise, and true lead-lag cross-covariance. Simulation results show the robustness of the proposed tick-by-tick covariance estimators to time stamps rounding, and their overall performance superior to competing covariance estimators under empirically realistic microstructure conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen in its series University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2008 with number 2008-04.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
High frequency data; Realized covariance; Market microstructure; Bias correction;
Other versions of this item:
- Fulvio Corsi & Francesco Audrino, 2012. "Realized Covariance Tick-by-Tick in Presence of Rounded Time Stamps and General Microstructure Effects," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 10(4), pages 591-616, September.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-02-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MST-2008-02-16 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Corsi, Fulvio & Peluso, Stefano & Audrino, Francesco, 2012. "Missing in Asynchronicity: A Kalman-EM Approach for Multivariate Realized Covariance Estimation," Economics Working Paper Series 1202, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.