Technology Clubs and Growth Patterns: Evidence from EU Manufacturing
AbstractThis paper investigates the forces driving output change in a panel of EU manufacturing industries. A flexible modeling strategy is adopted that accounts for (i) inefficient use of resources, and (ii) differences in the production technology across industries. With our model we are able to identify technical, efficiency, and input growth for endogenously determined technology clubs. Both the technology clubs and the parameters within each club are modeled as a function of R&D intensity. This framework allows us to explore the components of output growth in each club, potential technology spillovers and catch-up issues across industries and countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 08-03.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-02-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ORE-2008-02-09 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Potters, Lesley & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2009.
"Corporate R&D and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s Top R&D Investors,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subal Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2012. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2010. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2010-11, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.