An Empirical Test of the Theory of Sales: Do Household Storage Costs Affect Consumer and Store Behavior?
AbstractWe revisit and test Salop and Stiglitz (1982) Theory of Sales. Equilibrium predictions are that higher consumer storage costs lead to: (1) higher average prices, (2) fewer promotions, and (3) shallower promotions. Empirical estimates of storage cost are developed for approximately 1,000 households using the American Housing Survey (1989), United States Census (1990), and Stanford Market Basket Database (19911993). A test of the key assumption finds consumers with higher storage costs shop more often and purchase smaller quantities per visit; moreover, all three equilibrium predictions are supported. The estimated quantitative effects on shopping frequency and prices are economically important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 05-23.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- M3 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-10-29 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2005-10-29 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iga Hendel and Aviv Nevo., 2001.
"Sales and Consumer Inventory,"
Economics Working Papers
E01-307, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hendel, Igal & Nevo, Aviv, 2001. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt11x3d68b, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2002. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," NBER Working Papers 9048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iga Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2002. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," Microeconomics 0201001, EconWPA.
- Hendel, Igal & Nevo, Aviv, 2001. "Sales and Consumer Inventory," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt0p18h2d8, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001.
"Urban Decline and Durable Housing,"
NBER Working Papers
8598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, . "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 382, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001. "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1931, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lal, Rajiv & Matutes, Carmen, 1994. "Retail Pricing and Advertising Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 345-70, July.
- Salop, S & Stiglitz, J E, 1982. "The Theory of Sales: A Simple Model of Equilibrium Price Dispersion with Identical Agents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1121-30, December.
- Alba, Joseph W, et al, 1994. " The Influence of Prior Beliefs, Frequency Cues, and Magnitude Cues on Consumers' Perceptions of Comparative Price Data," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 219-35, September.
- Krishnamurthi, Lakshman & Mazumdar, Tridib & Raj, S P, 1992. " Asymmetric Response to Price in Consumer Brand Choice and Purchase Quantity Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 387-400, December.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1993. "Investigating Purchase Incidence, Brand Choice and Purchase Quantity Decisions of Households," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(2), pages 184-208.
- Saul Lach, 2002.
"Existence And Persistence Of Price Dispersion: An Empirical Analysis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 433-444, August.
- Saul Lach, 2002. "Existence and Persistence of Price Dispersion: an Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 8737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David R. Bell & Jeongwen Chiang & V. Padmanabhan, 1999. "The Decomposition of Promotional Response: An Empirical Generalization," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4), pages 504-526.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2005.
"Measuring the Implications of Sales and Consumer Inventory Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
11307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2006. "Measuring the Implications of Sales and Consumer Inventory Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1637-1673, November.
- Alan T. Sorensen, 2000. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion in Retail Markets for Prescription Drugs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 833-862, August.
- Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1984. "A Price Discrimination Theory of Coupons," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(2), pages 128-147.
- Duncan Simester, 1995. "Signalling Price Image Using Advertised Prices," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(2), pages 166-188.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & V. Srinivasan & Rajiv Lal, 1990. "The Effects of Brand Loyalty on Competitive Price Promotional Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 276-304, March.
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Rajiv Lal & Ram Rao, 1997. "Supermarket Competition: The Case of Every Day Low Pricing," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 60-80.
- Paul C. Cheshire & Christian A. L. Hilber & Ioannis Kaplanis, 2012. "Evidence from a UK supermarket chain," Working Papers 2012/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.