Correlation Matrices of yields and Total Positivity
AbstractIt has been empirically observed that correlation matrices of forward interest rates have the first three eigenvalues which are simple and their corresponding eigenvectors, termed as shift, slope and curvature respectively, with elements presenting changes of sign in a regular way. These spectral properties are very similar to those exhibited by Strictly Totally Positive and Oscillatory matrices. In the present paper we investigate how these spectral properties are related with those characterizing the correlation matrices considered, i.e. the positivity and the monotonicity of their elements. On the basis of these relations we prove the simplicity of the first two eigenvalues and provide an estimate of the second one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont in its series Working Papers with number 109.
Date of creation: Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Forward rates; Correlation matrices; Principal Component Analysis; Total Positivity;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-09 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Kotz, Samuel & Pearn, W. L. & Wichern, Dean W., 1984. "Eigenvalue-eigenvector analysis for a class of patterned correlation matrices with an application," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 119-125, May.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-29, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.