Regional differences in socio-economic health inequalities in Spain
AbstractThis paper reports an analysis of income related health inequalities at the Autonomous Community level in Spain using the self assessed health measure in the 2001 edition of the Encuesta Nacional de Salud. We use recently developed methods in order to cardinalise and model self assessed health within a regression framework, decompose the sources of inequality and explain the observed differences across regions. We find that the regions with the highest levels of mean health tend to enjoy the lowest degrees of income related health inequality and vice-versa. The main feature characterizing regions where income related health inequality is low is the absence of a positive gradient between income and health. In turn, the regions where income related health inequality is greater are characterized by a strong and significant positive gradient between health and income. These results suggest that policies aimed at eliminating the gradient between health and income can potentially lead to greate r reductions in socio-economic health inequalities than policies aimed at redistributing income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 757.
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision: Oct 2004
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Health inequalities; decomnposition analysis; Spain;
Other versions of this item:
- García Gómez Pilar & López Nicolás Ángel, 2007. "Regional Differences in Socioeconomic Health Inequalities in Spain," Working Papers 201072, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Pilar García Gómez & Ángel López, 2004. "Regional differences in socio-economic health inequalities in Spain," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 757, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2004.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2004-12-12 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HEA-2004-12-02 (Health Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2004-12-02 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaume Puig Junoy & Angel Lopez Nicoĺs, 1995. "Assessing health care infrastructure at the regional level: a statistical approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(12), pages 463-466.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & Bleichrodt, Han & Calonge, Samuel & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Michael & Geurts, Jose & Gross, Lorna & Hakkinen, Unto & Leu, Robert E., 1997. "Income-related inequalities in health: some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 93-112, February.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Watanabe, Naoko, 2003.
"On decomposing the causes of health sector inequalities with an application to malnutrition inequalities in Vietnam,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 207-223, January.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Van Doorslaer, Eddy & Watanabe, Naoko, 2001. "On decomposing the causes of health sector inequalities with an application to malnutrition inequalities in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2714, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Paci, Pierella, 1989. "Equity in the Finance and Delivery of Health Care: Some Tentative Cross-country Comparisons," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 89-112, Spring.
- Pilar García Gómez & Ángel López, 2004.
"Socio-economic inequalities in health in Catalonia,"
Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics
758, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2005.
- Pilar García Gómez & Ángel López Nicolás, 2005. "Socio-economic inequalities in health in Catalonia," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 175(4), pages 103-121, december.
- Pilar García Gómez & Ángel López, 2004. "Socio-economic inequalities in health in Catalonia," Economics Working Papers 758, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2005.
- Joan Costa Font & Joan Gil Trasfi, 2006. "Socio-Economic Inequalities in Reported Depression in Spain : A Decomposition Approach," Working Papers in Economics 152, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Pilar Garc�a Gómez & Angel López Nicolás, 2006. "Health shocks, employment and income in the Spanish labour market," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 997-1009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.