Regional industrialisation without national growth: The Catalan industrialization and the growth of Spanish economy (1830-1861)
AbstractThis paper has two main objectives. First, it provides a stylised description of the Catalan industrial path of the period 1830-1861. Second, it reviews the evolution of the Catalan industry in the Spanish context and, thus, can serve to describe the relative importance of the Catalan industrial experience. Consequently, it is mainly devoted to computing and analysing the growth rates of Catalan industries during the early phase of industrialisation. The results show that Catalonia experienced a true process of industrialisation during the period 1830 to 1861, but that its contribution in rapid increase in Spanish GDP was relatively small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 716.
Date of creation: Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Industrial production; regional divergence; divisia indices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N63 - Economic History - - Manufacturing and Construction - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- N93 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History - - - Europe: Pre-1913
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2004-05-16 (Development)
- NEP-EEC-2004-05-16 (European Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2004-05-26 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- repec:fth:harver:1487 is not listed on IDEAS
- N. F. R. Crafts & C. K. Harley, 1992. "Output growth and the British industrial revolution: a restatement of the Crafts-Harley view," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 45(4), pages 703-730, November.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2006. "Growth And Structural Change In Spain, 1850-2000," Working Papers in Economic History wp06-05, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.