Commodity money in the presence of goods of heterogenous quality
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to demonstrate that uncertainty about the quality of a particular commodity does not necessarily exclude it from emerging as commodity money. This is shown in the context of the model of a simple economy with specialized agents and decentralized trade described in Kiyotaki and Wright (1989). In order to derive this result, considerations about marketability of the different goods are taken into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 40.
Date of creation: Jul 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Cuadras-Morato, Xavier, 1994. "Commodity Money in the Presence of Goods of Heterogeneous Quality," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 579-91, May.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Yiting, 1995. "Commodity money under private information," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 573-592, December.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Michael McBride & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2013. "Limelight on dark markets: an experimental study of liquidity and information," ECON - Working Papers 126, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2004.
"Money and Information,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 915-944.
- Carlos Álvarez, 2003. "Spanish Monarchy´S Monetary Problems In The Seventeenth Century: Small Change And Foreign Credit," Working Papers in Economic History wh030905, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Li, Yiting, 1998. "Middlemen and private information," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 131-159, June.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1997.
"A model of commodity money, with applications to Gresham's law and the debasement puzzle,"
215, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- François R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1999. "A Model of Commodity Money, with Applications to Gresham's Law and the Debasement Puzzle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 291-323, January.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, 1997. "A model of commodity money, with applications to Gresham's Law and the debasement puzzle," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues WP-97-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber & Randall Wright, . "A Model of Commodity Money, With Application to Gresham's Law and the Debasement Puzzle," CARESS Working Papres 97-7, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Xavier Cuadras-Morató, 1997. "Can ice cream be money?: Perishable medium of exchange," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 103-125, June.
- Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2011. "Payments and liquidity under adverse selection," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 191-205.
- Xavier Cuadras & Randall Wright, 1996.
"On money as a medium of exchange when goods vary by supply and demand,"
Economics Working Papers
160, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Cuadras-Morato & Randall Wright, . "On Money as a Medium of Exchange When Goods Vary by Supply and Demand," CARESS Working Papres 97-1, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, evolution, and money," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 181-206.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Peter Rupert & Martin Schindler & Andrei Shevchenko & Randall Wright, 2000. "The search-theoretic approach to monetary economics: a primer," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 10-28.
- Giuseppe Mastromatteo & Luigi Ventura, 2007. "The origin of money: A survey of the contemporary literature," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 195-224, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.