Median problems in networks
AbstractThe P-median problem is a classical location model “par excellence”. In this paper we, first examine the early origins of the problem, formulated independently by Louis Hakimi and Charles ReVelle, two of the fathers of the burgeoning multidisciplinary field of research known today as Facility Location Theory and Modelling. We then examine some of the traditional heuristic and exact methods developed to solve the problem. In the third section we analyze the impact of the model in the field. We end the paper by proposing new lines of research related to such a classical problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 1151.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
P-median; location modelling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Serra & Vladimir Marianov, 1996. "The P-median problem in a changing network: The case of Barcelona," Economics Working Papers 180, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Narula, Subhash C., 1984. "Hierarchical location-allocation problems: A classification scheme," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 93-99, January.
- George O. Wesolowsky & William G. Truscott, 1975. "The Multiperiod Location-Allocation Problem with Relocation of Facilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(1), pages 57-65, September.
- Mladenovic, Nenad & Brimberg, Jack & Hansen, Pierre & Moreno-Perez, Jose A., 2007. "The p-median problem: A survey of metaheuristic approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 927-939, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.