Intercountry Income Inequality: World Levels and Decomposition Between and Within Developmental Clusters and Regions
AbstractBy applying the Theil index of income inequality and its decomposition between and within groups to income data adjusted for purchasing power parity on 115 countries between 1960 and 1985, we find that the worldwide level of intercountry income inequality declined steadily by 0.584% per annum, indicating a considerable overall convergence process. The decomposition analysis indicates that the dominant constituent of intercountry income inequality was the aggregate inequality among regions, followed by the aggregate inequality within regions. The decomposition also reveals that the contribution of income inequality among the clusters of LDCs, OECD countries and CPEs was very small.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia in its series Economics Working Papers with number wp93-5.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
income ; social welfare;
Other versions of this item:
- Amnon Levy & Khorshed Chowdhury, 1994. "Intercountry Income Inequality: World Levels and Decomposition Between and Within Developmental Clusters and Regions," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 33-50, September.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sampath, Rajan K. & Anwer, Muhammad Sarfraz, 2002. "Inequality In World Gdp Distribution," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36529, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.